Denzel Curry will no longer headline AMPASU's end-of-semester show

AMPASU leadership are working with the University to find a new headliner

36470843325_a1c79e6ff4_k.jpg

Denzel Curry performs at Osheaga in Parc Jean-Drapeau, Montreal, Canada on Sunday, Aug. 6, 2017.

Denzel Curry, an American rapper, singer and songwriter, will no longer be headlining the "Hush Hush," end-of-semester concert hosted by the Art, Music and Poetry Club, or AMPASU.

The announcement was posted on the group's Facebook page Tuesday night and stated that the group is "extremely disappointed," but is "working diligently with the University in an attempt to secure a replacement headliner." 

"Personally, Denzel Curry is one of my favorite rappers of all time," said Tyler Clark, senior interdisciplinary major and president of AMPASU. "We're all really bummed about it."

Clark said despite the loss of the headliner, the show will still go on.

"Hush Hush" will showcase a variety of hip hop, jazz, and rap groups along with local visual artists for their free end-of-semester show in the Secret Garden in Tempe on Saturday, Nov. 10 from 4 p.m to 11 p.m.

Confirmed artists include Truminati Music Group, The Color 8, Astrud Aurelia and more.

Clark said the artists are all very talented and were handpicked from the local music scene by members of AMPASU.

“It’s a huge festival that culminates everything we do as a club into one event,” he said.

While Denzel Curry will no longer be an attraction to the show, Clark said students are still encouraged to attend to see all of the other talented artists set to perform and showcase their work. 

“We want to show that there is a thriving community of artists that are more than willing to play or go to a show,” he said.

This story will be updated with more information as it becomes available. 

Reach the reporter at eborst@asu.edu and follow @ellieeborstt on Twitter.

Ellie BorstExecutive Editor 2021-22

Ellie Borst is the executive editor of The State Press, overseeing the publication and its four departments: online, magazine, multimedia and engagement. She plans to graduate in May 2022 with her master's in legal studies and got her bachelor's in journalism in 2021. Previous roles she has held since joining SP in 2018 include digital managing editor, magazine managing editor, community and culture desk editor, and arts and culture reporter.

×