Next week in events: From Thanksgiving food to vintage markets

The State Press looks at events on and off campus for the week of Nov. 18 to 24

nextweek.jpeg

"Spark your calendars." Illustration published on Thursday, Oct. 25, 2018.     

Saturday and Sunday, Nov. 17 & 18

"Hamlet, Prince of Denmark:" The ASU Theatre and Shakespeare Club will produce this performance that takes the original Shakespearean dialogue and places it into the setting of a 1970s adult psychiatric facility. There are two performances each day: a matinee from 2 to 4:30 p.m. and an evening performance from 6:30 to 10 p.m. The tickets are $4.15 for students. It will take place on the Union Stage at the Memorial Union at the Tempe campus. 

Monday, Nov. 19

Cal Seciwa Feast and Fest: The Alliance of Indigenous Peoples will honor the late Cal Seciwa with the intention of uniting the ASU community. This is a free dinner for ASU students who cannot go home for the holiday or would like to spend time in a friendsgiving setting. It will be at the Pasqua Yaqui Community Center from 6 to 7 p.m.

Tuesday, Nov. 20

Blood Memory: 40th Year ICWA Commemoration: This day is the 40th anniversary of the Indian Child Welfare Act of 1978. The American Indian Social Work Student Association and Native American Law Student Association will be screening the movie “Blood Memory” in the Great Hall of the Beus Center for Law and Society. The movie is about family separation and ICWA from 5 to 6 p.m.

Wednesday, Nov. 21

Zoolights: On the first night of the lights, general admission tickets will be discounted to $12.95 and member tickets will be $10.95. The Phoenix Zoo’s holiday tradition includes millions of lights, a 200-foot slide and live reindeer. The lights will be on from 5:30 to 10:30 p.m.

Thursday, Nov. 22 (Thanksgiving)

Phoenix Turkey Trot: Kick off your Thanksgiving feast with several walking and running events. Registration is from 6 to 7:30 a.m. There will also be contests for best turkey outfit, most creative costume, best-dressed family, best-dressed couple and best-dressed team. There will be pumpkin pie and cranberry aid stations along the walks and runs. Registration prices vary by race.

Friday, Nov. 23

Alternative Black Friday Vintage Market: Over 20 local or handmade vendors will set up shop in CityScape Phoenix from noon to 7 p.m. as an alternative option to the hectic Black Friday. Phoenix General will provide photo backdrops, live music, festive drinks and souvenir tote bags for the first 100 people. 

Fantasy of Lights Opening Night: The parade will start at 6 p.m. on Mill Avenue and Third Street. It will then go in a U-shape through Centerpoint Plaza and end up on Fifth Street and Mill Avenue. Then there will be a tree-lighting ceremony. There will also be handcrafted goods surrounding Mill Avenue as part of the Holiday Markets. 

Saturday, Nov. 24

Community Yoga Project: At 8:30 a.m. at Civic Space Park, the Lincoln Family Downtown YMCA will lead yoga on the lawn. Bring a yoga mat and water. It’s a free event, and if there is a weather issue, the yoga will be inside the A.E. England Building. 

Reach the reporter at anbuechl@asu.edu or follow @alexa_buechler on Twitter.

×