ASU men's hockey falls 4-0 to Nebraska Omaha on Saturday night

The Sun Devils were shut out by the Mavericks

DSC_7865.jpg

ASU junior forward Brett Gruber (27) handles the puck as during a game against Michigan State in Tempe, Arizona, on Friday, Nov. 9, 2018.

The ASU men's hockey team took to the ice on Saturday night with the hopes of splitting its series with the Nebraska Omaha Mavericks. Unfortunately for the Sun Devils, they weren't able to accomplish the task, courtesy of a 44-save shutout from UNO senior goaltender Evan Weninger

Weninger was spotless on Saturday, and he had the help of his teammates. The Mavericks scored one goal in the first period, two in the second, and one more empty net goal in the third to secure a victory. 

Among some of the standouts, UNO senior forward Mason Morelli had three points, giving him seven points in two games of the series. The veteran registered two of the team's four goals, and senior forward Fredrik Olofsson also tallied a shorthanded goal for the Mavericks. 

The series allowed UNO to avenge its two losses against ASU in Tempe earlier this season, and it gave the Mavericks their third and fourth wins of the season. 

The shutout was just the second time all season that ASU was left with a goose egg on the scoreboard, and the team will look to rest and recover after playing back-to-back series on the road.

Up next, the team will have next weekend off before heading back out on the road to the east coast to take on No. 14 Princeton in New Jersey on Dec. 7 and 8.

Reach the reporter at atbell1@asu.edu or follow @AndrewBell7 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×