No. 22 ASU women's basketball defeats Arkansas in first true road game

Kianna Ibis scores 20 points to lead the Sun Devils with the bench adding 42 points

110618WomensBasketballIncarnateWord33.jpg

ASU senior forward Kianna Ibis (42) pulls up for a shot against Incarnate Word at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Arizona, on Tuesday, Nov. 6, 2018.

After falling to No. 4 Baylor in the "Showdown on the Rez," the No. 22 ASU women’s basketball team looked for a bounce-back win as the Sun Devils traveled to Arkansas for their first true road game this season.

ASU found a spark with its bench inside Bud Walton Arena, which helped propel the team to an 88-85 win against the Razorbacks on Sunday night. Last season in Tempe, the Sun Devils won by 46 points against the University of Arkansas, but this matchup was different as the Razorbacks have improved from last season. 

ASU (2-1) had a 10-point advantage late in the third quarter, but it couldn’t increase its lead as Arkansas made a push in the fourth. In a hard-fought game, late-game free throws allowed the Sun Devils to preserve the win.

Senior forward Kianna Ibis led the Sun Devils with 20 points in an efficient-shooting performance (9-of-14). A starter, Ibis received a boost from her teammates off the bench to deny Arkansas (2-1) its attempt for an upset. 

ASU used a balanced scoring attack and only had one player not score, with 11 other players picking up points including 42 points off the bench.

Senior forward Sophia Elenga tallied 11 points and 12 rebounds to help Ibis, and freshman guard Iris Mbulito recorded 13 points. Junior guard Robbi Ryan also added 13 points of her own, including a couple of clutch mid-range shots and free throws. 

Arkansas had four players in double figures including junior guard Alexis Tolefree, who led the game in scoring with a game-high 22 points and Chelsea Dungee, a redshirt sophomore, who added 20 points.

ASU will stay on the road as the Sun Devils travel to Las Vegas for the South Point Thanksgiving Shootout to play No. 5 Louisville at 3:30 p.m. MST on Friday, and Southern Illinois at 3:30 p.m. MST on Saturday.

Reach the reporter at nahiatt@asu.edu or follow @NATE_HIATT on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×