ASU basketball completes comeback, steals road victory late against Georgia

Dort's late basket and steal wrap up ASU's victory in final seconds

DSC_4536.jpg

ASU freshman Luguentz Dort (0) takes a free throw as ASU defeats Texas Southern University 83-71 in Tempe, Arizona, on Saturday, Dec. 1, 2018.

After trailing by 14 points at halftime, ASU basketball came roaring back to defeat the Georgia Bulldogs one the road on Saturday, 76-74.

A late basket and defensive steal from ASU's leading scorer and freshman sensation Luguentz Dort sealed the victory in the final seconds. 

Sophomore Remy Martin led the charge for ASU as the guard tied his career high with 21 points. Georgia native Romello White added 16 points on six shots.

A slow start put ASU behind early as the team missed seven of its first eight shots. The Devils dug themselves into an 18-point hole in the first half, and the team's frustrations showed as head coach Bobby Hurley was hit with a technical foul from the officials.

ASU's improved defensive showing in the second half allowed the team to slowly chip away at Georgia's lead. The Sun Devils held the Bulldogs to 27 points in the final 20 minutes. The Sun Devils scored 43. 

Georgia's leading scorer and sophomore forward Rayshaun Hammonds fouled out of the game with under five minutes to play. He and junior guard Tyree Crump led the Bulldogs with 19 points. 

With under three minutes to go in the game, a Remy Martin corner jumper gave the Sun Devils their first lead of the game. 

Now 8-1, the Sun Devils look to sweep their two-game SEC road trip Monday as they will visit Vanderbilt before hosting No. 1 Kansas at Wells Fargo Arena next Saturday.

Reach the reporter at kmgianco@asu.edu and follow @Kaleb_Mart on Twitter.

×