ASU women's basketball loses 51-39 to Arizona

Both teams were coming in with streaks on the line

110618WomensBasketballIncarnateWord20.jpg

ASU senior forward Kianna Ibis (42) takes the ball up the court during a game against Incarnate Word at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Arizona, on Tuesday, Nov. 6, 2018.

The Arizona Wildcats women's basketball team (11-1) gained an early lead that stretched throughout the majority of a dominant game against the No. 17 Sun Devils (9-3) on Sunday.

Arizona's redshirt sophomore guard Aari McDonald's 24 points and sophomore forward Sam Thomas' 11 points scored helped propel the Wildcats to a 51-39 win over ASU and extended their winning streak to 10. 

The loss not only kicked off ASU's Pac-12 play but ended their seven-game streak and earned them their first road loss. 

Senior forward Kianna Ibis led the Sun Devils with 11 points scored and seven rebounds. 

The early minutes of the first quarter were the only chance the Sun Devils would get at tying, as they would not gain a lead the rest of the game.

At the half the Wildcats would sit with a 27-20 lead with 17 of their points scored in the first quarter alone.

The Wildcats' defense also came out strong, only allowing the Sun Devils eight points in the third quarter.

ASU will tip off the new year at the University of Utah on Friday, Jan 4 at 7:00 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at Edith.Noriega@asu.edu or follow @Noriega_Edith on Twitter. 

×