ASU wrestling maintains early lead, defeats Oregon State in Pac-12 opener

Josh Maruca's late narrow victory preserved ASU's win

111718WrestlingUNC1.jpg

ASU redshirt senior 125lb. wrestler Ryan Millhof wrestles his opponent in the Sun Devils' 20-15 loss to North Carolina at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Arizona, on Saturday, Nov. 17, 2018.

The ASU wrestling team opened Pac-12 play with a 20-13 win over Oregon State on Sunday in Corvallis, Ore. 

Despite a push from Oregon State following intermission, No. 9 ASU protected its early lead and held off the Beavers late to improve its record to 4-6. 

Clinging to a four-point lead heading into the final bout, the Sun Devils turned to redshirt junior Josh Maruca, who narrowly defeated OSU's Josh Reyes, 4-3. 

The dual meet began with the 157-pound weight class as ASU stormed out of the gates, winning the first four matches to take a commanding 14-0 lead. In that stretch, redshirt juniors Josh Shields and Zahid Valencia earned major decisions for the Sun Devils.

Then, Oregon State's victory in the 197-pound division sparked some momentum for the Beavers prior to intermission.

Thanks to a major decision in the heavyweight division and a narrow one-point victory in the 125-pound bout, OSU cut ASU's lead to 14-10 with three matches to go. 

At 133 pounds, sophomore Josiah Kline turned the tide back into ASU's favor. The Tucson native broke an 8-8 tie with a takedown of Oregon State's Kegan Calkins in the final minute to win the match, 10-8.

The teams split the final two bouts. 

The Sun Devils will be on the road yet again next weekend as they head to Pennsylvania for a pair of duals against Lock Haven on Friday and Lehigh on Saturday. Both matches will begin at 5:00 PM MST.

Reach the reporter at kmgianco@asu.edu and follow @Kaleb_Mart on Twitter.

×