Strong pitching and offense secure ASU baseball's sweep against UC Davis

The Sun Devils maintain their perfect record following 17-2 win over the Aggies

Baseballgamer-2.jpg

ASU sophomore Trevor Hauver (18) celebrates a three-run home run in ASU's 17-2 win over UC Davis in Phoenix, Arizona on Sunday, Feb. 24, 2019.

ASU baseball improved its record to a perfect 7-0 with a 17-2 win over UC Davis (3-4) on Sunday, completing a weekend sweep against the California team.

Sophomore starting pitcher RJ Dabovich launched 7.0 IP, allowed four hits and one run on just 78 thrown pitches. At the plate, sophomore Trevor Hauver led the team going 3-for-4 with seven RBIs that included a home run, double and walk.

"Today was good," Dabovich said. "There's still errors to improve. I still walked two slider, curve ball wasn't there, but I went out, competed (and) defense played well behind me."

With the Sun Devils posting their sixth double-digit scoring game so early into the season – along with eight runs by the bottom of the third inning alone with 18 total hits throughout the game – one might forget about the work being done at the mound.

Dabovich said at times it does feel like the offense is overshadowing the defense, but he still gives credit to them for currently being among the best in the country. ASU’s batting average currently ranks No. 2 in the NCAA.

The Sun Devils wasted no time outscoring the Aggies during the bottom of the first inning similar to that of their Saturday night win.

On a full pitch count, Hauver tied his career-high 12 walks to start the bottom of the first. Sophomore infielder Spencer Torkelson then singled to left field, putting the Aggies in an early jam. 

With men on first and second, junior designated hitter Lyle Lin kept the momentum rolling from his previous game with an RBI single up the middle for the 1-0 lead. 

Both junior infielder Carter Aldrete and sophomore infielder Gage Workman each brought in runs with an RBI grounder to third base and an infield single to shortstop, respectively. 

Holding onto a 3-0 Sun Devil lead, Dabovich kept the Aggies hitless with three-up-three down outs through the first three innings.

On the other hand, the Sun Devils came up big with a pair of runs during the bottom of the second with Torkelson's RBI fly out. Their fifth run would be at a cost of an error on the Aggies side.

The only action the Aggies would see would be a line out to left field during the top of the third, which was quickly caught by a diving Hauver. During the top of the fifth inning, Aggies senior infielder Caleb Van Blake smacked a home run to right field for the teams' first hit and run of the afternoon.    

An Aggies' pitching change during the bottom of the third would not stop the Sun Devils who came storming with eight runs scored.

With bases loaded, sophomore infielder Drew Swift's RBI smack to left center would not only put another run on board, but kept the bases loaded for the team. 

Hauver's RBI double to dead center cleaned the bases for the Sun Devils, putting them up to a hot start. Lin, Aldrete and Workman combined for four RBIs, giving the team a comfortable 13-0 lead.

Then, during the bottom of the fourth inning, Hauver would launch his first career home run – a three run shot to right field for the team's 16-0 lead. 

"I was just blowing, I was like get out ball," Hauver said. "It was super exciting for me because I worked so hard to get to this point from last season to this season."  

Hauver's finishing touch on the team's win would be an RBI fly out to center field. 

"He (Hauver) can also hit, it's not up there looking for a walk, the kid can swing the bat," coach Tracy Smith said. "What else can you ask at a lead off guy who scores four runs, gets seven RBIs and draws walks. So, very productive day for him." 

Sun Devil freshman right-handed pitcher Dom Cacchione came in during the eight, allowing an RBI infield single but later sealing the win for the team on a forced popup and two strikeouts to end the ninth.

ASU will welcome Pepperdine (3-3) for one game on Tuesday, Feb. 26 at 6:30 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at Edith.Noriega@asu.edu or follow @Noriega_Edith on Twitter. 

×