ASU track and field walks away with multiple first place finishes at weekend meets

Numerous personal bests were also achieved for athletes across the team

DSC_6621.jpg

ASU redshirt then-freshman thrower Samantha Noennig placed sixth in the Women's Discus Throw Premier during the Sun Angel Track Classic at Sun Angel Stadium in Tempe, Arizona, on Saturday, April 7, 2018.

The ASU track and field team had a busy weekend as they competed at meets in three different states across the country.

Multiple Sun Devils took the top spot in certain events, and a number of them achieved personal bests. 

Iowa State Classic

Sophomore Fearghal Curtin won the men's 5,000-meter race with a personal-best 13:52.26. He was the only Sun Devil with a top finish in the meet.

Curtin stayed within the top-ten throughout the race, hanging in the back half to start. He eventually turned on the jets during the home stretch, going from sixth to second place between the 4,400- and 4,700-meter marks. Curtin then beat out University of Minnesota's Alec Basten for first place in the final 300 meters.

Redshirt senior John Reniewicki placed 13th in the same event with a personal-best time of 14:07.76.

Redshirt senior William Paulson placed eighth in the men's 3,000-meter invite, finishing in 7:58.04. Paulson reached as high as second place at the 2,700-meter mark. However, he could not keep up his pace and dropped six spots in the last 300 meters.

Don Kirby Invitational

Senior Jessica Barreira won the women's long jump with a personal-best of 6.28m/20-7.25ft. She also placed third in the women's triple jump, leaping 12.82m/42-00.75ft. 

Redshirt senior Matthew Eckles placed tenth in the men's pole vault with a jump of 5.33m/17-5.75ft, which was also his personal best.

Senior Derrick Monroe placed sixth in the men's long jump with a mark of 7.44m/24-5.00ft. 

Freshman Erika Voyzey scored a fifth place finish in the women's high jump invitational with a leap of 1.72m/5-7.75ft.

Redshirt sophomore Beatrice Llano placed third in the women's shot put heat on Friday, scoring a 20.20m/66-03.25ft throw. 

Redshirt sophomore Samantha Noennig tied for third in the women's shot put heat on Saturday, throwing for 17.05m/55-11.25ft. 

Tyson Invitational

Senior Courtnee Oglesby finished the women's 400-meter with a time of 57.61, good for 26th place. 

Multiple Sun Devil athletes competed in qualifiers and preliminaries in various races, but none of them were able to qualify for the finals in their respective races.

Senior Alexandra Williams placed 14th in the women's 60-meter hurdles preliminaries with a time of 8.66 seconds. However, she placed just 26th in the qualifiers with a time of 8.79 seconds. 

The Sun Devils will participate in the Alex Wilson Invitational and the NAU Tune-Up next weekend before the Mountain Pacific Sports Foundation Championship. 

Correction: a previous version of this article identified Alec Basten as an athlete for Minnesota State instead of the University of Minnesota, the article has been updated to reflect this change.

Reach the reporter at jhorst2@asu.edu and follow @HorseySeven on Twitter.

Jeffrey HorstDigital editor-in-chief

Jeffrey Horst is the digital editor-in-chief of The State Press. He previously served as the publication's sports editor and worked at Cronkite News and ArizonaSports.com.

×