ASU basketball holds off Oregon State for 20th win of the season

The Sun Devils clinch a first round bye and the No. 2 seed in the Pac-12 tournament with the victory

_MGL1372.jpg

ASU sophomore guard Remy Martin (1) dribbles down the court in the Sun Devils' 78-64 win against the Oregon Ducks at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Arizona, on Saturday, Jan. 19, 2019.

The ASU basketball team completed the season sweep of Oregon State after a 74-71 comeback win in Corvallis Sunday night. Now 20-9 (11-6 Pac-12), the Sun Devils clinched the No. 2 seed and first round bye in the Pac-12 tournament.

Despite a seven-point halftime deficit, ASU's offense exploded for 44 points in the second half. The attack was spearheaded by stellar offensive guard play, specifically from freshman Luguentz Dort, redshirt junior guard Rob Edwards and sophomore Remy Martin.

Dort poured in 20 points, including 4-6 from three-point range, and sank two key free throws to give the Sun Devils a three-point lead with four seconds left.

Edwards and Martin contributed with 13 points each, while redshirt senior forward Zylan Cheatham logged a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds.

Although the Sun Devils were outdone on the glass 40-34 for the game, they shot 47.2% from the field compared to 39.3% for the Beavers.

Oregon State's offensive leader was Ethan Thompson, who put up 20 points, 13 rebounds and nine assists.

After its first victory over Arizona in the Bobby Hurley era back in January, ASU will travel to Tucson for a rematch with the Wildcats in the regular season finale on Saturday, March 9. Tip time is set for 2:00 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at kmgianco@asu.edu and follow @Kaleb_Mart on Twitter.

×