An overview of the 2019 student government candidates

Campaigning begins this week for executive and representative positions in each USG branch

usgelections2019.jpg

Graphic published on Monday, March 11, 2019. 

Campaigning began on Monday for the 2019 Undergraduate Student Government and Graduate and Professional Student Association elections across the four ASU campuses.

The applications to run for either an executive position or for a senate seat opened on Feb. 1 and closed midnight on Feb. 22. Voting will take place on March 26-27 and election results will be announced on March 28. 

There will be at least one polling location set up on each campus, and online polling will be available as well. 

Below are the candidates and the positions they are running for. 

Undergraduate Student Government Tempe: 

There are three executive tickets this year for USGT for the roles of president, vice president of policy and vice president of service. The first ticket includes Chaz Simmons for president, Nicole Morote for VPP and Tyler Sholl for VPS. 

The second ticket has Hanna Salem for president, Trey Leveque for VPP and Nikki Tran for VPS.

The third ticket has Robert Bartlemay for president, Vincent Despain for VPP and Jacquelyn Alcaraz for VPS. 

Simmons is currently the VPS, Morote is a Barrett, the Honors College senator, Sholl is the director of spirit, pride and tradition, Salem is the director of civic engagement, and Tran is president.

Megan Hall, Will Owens, Kim Adversario, Justyn Zeider, Tanner Hauck, Jeremiah Willett, Christopher Courtney and Aditya Makhija are running for the three senate seats for Barrett. 

Michael Graham and Scott Scalisi are running for the two senate seats for the College of Integrative Sciences and Arts.

Nate Belcher, Maria Mason, Tyler Peterson, Ryan Magel, James Jenkins, Ian Samuel, Benjamin Cooper and Carla Rendon are running for the five senate seats for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences

Christina Qian is the only candidate for the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts.

Isabella Shilliday, Travis Wanless, Matthew DiPrima, Kate Hostal, Emily Bradbury and Fatima Rahim are running for the five senate seats for the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering

Varun Susarla is the only candidate for the sole School for the Future of Innovation in Society seat. 

Dominic Frattura, Gianni Basso, Thompson Vipond, John Hopkins, Jack Fuller, Ben Davis, Stephen So and Moses Adams are running for the four seats for the W.P. Carey School of Business

Undergraduate Student Government Downtown:

The only executive ticket for USGD has Yasmin Alvarado for president, Kylie Cochrane for VPP and Michelle Ailport for VPS. 

Alvarado is currently the senate president and Ailport is the director of marketing. 

Lance Lim, Renuka Vemuri and Aldwin Galang are running for the two senate seats for Barrett.

Dahlia Stott and Paola Valenzuela are running for the two senate seats for the College of Health Solutions. Brendan Wong is the only candidate for the College of Nursing and Health Innovation. Reyna Villegas is the only candidate for the Watts College of Public Service and Community Solutions

Undergraduate Student Government West:

There are two executive tickets for USGW. Noah Hawks for president, Nyla Shah for VPP and LeiLani Viscaina for VPS are running against Tony Camisi for president, Kevin King for VPP and Maria Perez for VPS. 

Right now, Noah Hawks is a senator for the Thunderbird School of Global Management, Nyla Shah is a Barrett senator, LeiLani Viscaina is VPS, Tony Camisi is a senator for W.P Carey and Kevin King is the director of public relations.

Sarah Livingston is the only candidate for CHS. Diana Stabile is the only candidate for CONHI. Keely Maria Nunez and Alayna Dalgleish are running for two of the four senate seats for the New College of Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences. Michaela Jacobs is the only candidate for Thunderbird. 

Undergraduate Student Government Polytechnic: 

The executive ticket for USGP has Daniel Pasco for president, Troy Anderson for VPP and Espie Sanchez-Apodaca for VPS.

Currently, Pasco serves as president, Anderson serves as a senator and Sanchez serves as the director of marketing and technology.

Jakob Kehr and Kyle Horn are competing over the one senate seat for Barrett. Erik Maas is the only candidate for the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering. Brandon Dixon, Octavio Ramos and Gianelly Esquer are running for the one senate seat for W.P. Carey.  

Graduate and Professional Student Association:

Leah Jones and Thomas Arsenault are competing for GPSA president.

Hussein Mohamed is the only candidate for vice president of external affairs. 

Shivam Zaveri is the only candidate for the vice president of internal affairs. 

Amelia Miholca and Raj Kannapiran are running for vice president for professional development. 

Jones currently serves as an GPSA assembly member at-large, Arsenault serves as an assembly member for W.P. Carey, Mohamed serves as an assembly member at-large and Miholca serves as the VP of professional development.

Robert Yao is the only candidate for CHS. Steven Marsiglia is the only candidate for the College of Integrative Sciences and Arts. Marinela Golemi and Alfonso Lopez-Morales are running for the one assembly seat for humanities at The College, formerly known as CLAS.

Sarah Hall is the only candidate for the social sciences seat at The College. Jacob Garcia is the only candidate for natural sciences at The College. Michelle Di Palma is the only candidate for life sciences at The College.

Peter Crank and Asha Fuller are running for the two assembly seats for The College at-large.

Aaron Cromar is the only candidate for CONHI. Alyssa Henning is the only candidate for the Ira A. Fulton School of Engineering, School of Biological and Health Systems Engineering

Vipanchi Chacham and Ronak Tanna are running for the one assembly seat for Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering, School of Computing, Informatics, and Decisions Systems Engineering. Daniel Barboza, Ganga Ramesh and Ramya Rao are running for the one assembly seat for the Ira A. Fulton School of Engineering, School of Electrical, Computer, and Energy Engineering

Amey Iyer is the only candidate for the School for Engineering of Matter, Transport and Energy. Sandesh Bhat and Pallavi Bahl are running for the one assembly seat for the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering, the Polytechnic School. Panos Theofanopoulos, Varun Nalam, Sreenithy Chandran and Sreekar Tummala are running for the two assembly seats for the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering, at-large.

Matthew Contursi is running for the one assembly seat for the School for the Future of Innovation in Society.

Zee Wilson is the only candidate for Herberger. Neelakshi Tewari, Brianna Garber and Esther Pretti are running for the three assembly seats for the Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College. 

John Oyas is the only candidate for the Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law. Florian Schneider is the only candidate for the School of Sustainability. Denis Bateme is the only candidate for Thunderbird.

Marco Mangini and Mahmood Raza are running for two of the four assembly seats for W. P. Carey.

Editor's Note: Benjamin Cooper is a former columnist for The State Press Magazine.

Correction: Due to a sourcing error, a previous version of this article incorrectly stated the number of available senate seats for Barrett, the Honors College and the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering on the Tempe campus. The article has been updated to reflect this change.

Reach the reporter at krquaran@asu.edu and follow @kiaraquaranta on Twitter. 

×