No. 15 ASU baseball rout Cal Baptist 15-9

Junior outfielder Hunter Bishop goes 2-for-4 blasting two home runs

ASU then-freshman outfielder Hunter Bishop (24) sprints to first base in a baseball game versus CSU Bakersfield at the Phoenix Municipal Stadium in Tempe, Arizona, on Sunday, April 23, 2017. 

There was no stopping No. 15 ASU baseball's (20-0, Pac-12 3-0) offensive energy in its 15-9 win over Cal Baptist (14-7) on Wednesday. 

Junior outfielder Hunter Bishop and sophomore infielder Spencer Torkelson went for a combined 4-for-8 with seven RBIs and five runs scored. 

Senior righty Sam Romero went 5.0 innings and allowed just four hits to record his first win of the season. 

Bishop not only extended his hitting streak to 12 but tied for the most home runs in Division I baseball with 12.   

With a .442 average, coach Tracy Smith said Bishop's mid-season offensive spike has come as a result of him being "a lot more plate disciplined" and "understanding the strike zone a little bit better." 

While the Sun Devils hung onto a 15-1 lead heading into the seventh inning, the night became interesting when a few defensive changes allowed the Lancers to score late runs.

Sophomore righty Colby Davis would have a rough first night on the mound allowing three runs on four hits in the seventh inning.

Junior outfielder Carter Aldrete would enter the eighth inning on the mound for the Sun Devils, allowing one run and two walks before striking out the batter to end the inning. 

The night would be capped after freshman righty Will Levine allowed the Lancers to score four runs in the ninth inning, and sophomore righty Brady Corrigan closed out the game as the seventh Sun Devil pitcher used for the night. 

"To have to bring Brady Corrigan in at the end, honestly I'm not real happy about it," Smith said. "We say it all the time 'you get what you deserve in this program' and I think the lesson to be learned from everybody in that locker room; if you let down for one second at this level and you don't pitch with a competitive attitude, you don't hit with a competitive attitude you will increase your chances for failed result."

ASU will make their way to Oregon for a three-game series against the Oregon Ducks starting Friday, March 22 at 6:00 p.m. MST.   

Reach the reporter at Edith.Noriega@asu.edu or follow @Noriega_Edith on Twitter. 

×