Introvert's Advocate: The Unexpected Extrovert

I’ve identified as an introvert for years now. After I took my first Myers-Briggs test, (I’m an INFJ, introversion, intuition, feeling and judging, in case you were wondering.) Most of the time I don't consider myself as an extrovert. 

However, a handful of times in my life I’ve met people who’ve been surprised that I’m typically a wallflower. Here’s a list of the times I temporarily embraced an extroverted lifestyle. This week I’m hoping I’ll inspire you to step out of your shell for a night!

1. I moved in with complete strangers…twice   

Going into my freshman year of college, I met my roommate for the dorms online. We only hung out two times before moving in, but we ended up becoming pretty good friends. Unfortunately, we ended up being unable to live together for a second year so I turned to the Internet once again to find a new place to live. Luckily, venturing out of my comfort zone paid off for the second time, and I get along well with both of the girls I live with now.

2. This summer when I was dead-set on writing a blog about Tinder dates

I was prepared to ditch my homebody tendencies and fully embrace my inner Carrie Bradshaw, but I ended up having a really great time on the first date I went on. Six months later, we’re still together. So I’m honestly ok with my original plan falling through. However, I promised I was going to go on at least five dates to explore what the app was REALLY about.

3. My junior year of high school I placed prom date “advertisements” all over campus

With the help of some friends I printed out about 30 fliers, attached my number to the bottom, and waited for the responses. Some people thought it was funny, some people took it way too seriously and some people found it annoying. I didn’t really care though, I was just glad I finally did something unpredictable.

4. I applied for a job I thought I wasn’t going to get, but ended up getting hired

At the end of last semester, I applied for an internship that I felt severely under-qualified for. However, after going through an emotional rough patch, I decided it was time to get my life together and start toughening up. Two interviews later, I got the job.

5. I chose a major that isn’t typically suited for introverts

I discussed this a bit in a previous column, but my decision to become a journalist seemed to clash with some of my personality traits. I have to admit that sometimes I feel like I need to push myself a little harder than most to pick up the phone and schedule an interview, but I love what I do and have no intentions of changing my career path.

×