Dating Your Sister's Boyfriend's Brother

It’s weird. Don’t even try to back it up. It doesn’t sound like it’s too close for comfort, but trust me, it is. I know I’m a territorial person, and often times unnecessarily jealous, but this would make me go ballistic.

If you ever start falling for your sister’s boyfriend’s brother, STOP YOURSELF. He could potentially be your brother-in-law before he’s your husband. If your sister begins dating a member of the same family you are, do everything in your power to end it, and avoid the struggles. 

The entire point of having a sister or brother is that if (when) you break up with your partner, THEY BREAK UP WITH THEM TOO. No contact. Party is OVER. How are they supposed to remain loyal, and supportive to you while still going on vacations and dinners with the family?

It makes everything a competition. You’ll have to sneak around the house searching for what your sister got her boyfriend’s parents for Christmas so you don’t look cheap in comparison. Good luck to you if your sibling goes to church with your partner’s family before you do. Even if they “love everyone the same,” you WILL be compared. 

It WILL be awkward. No one wants to walk into their significant other’s house to find their little sister or brother curled up on the couch where you were planning to watch a movie. 

If you meet your significant other through your sibling, your sibling has already been on many more vacations, went to more parties, and known your new partner long before you have. They’ve been a part of their family way before you.

It’s weird if you’re not there. It’s a strange concept to think that if you have to work on the weekend when they leave town, your brother or sister will be there in your place.

If you feel like you can handle this then God bless you. If it happens beyond your control just make the best of it. It’s definitely strange, but love is love, and you can’t tell someone, especially your family, who to love. You can only tell them how it makes you fell, and hope they take it into consideration.

Your partner's family becomes your second family, and it's a bit of an invasion to have your brother or sister break into your home away from home. You want to be your own person without being seen as a packaged deal. 

Every pair of siblings has a different relationship, and a different way of going about things like this. Family shouldn’t be interrupted by boyfriends, girlfriends or stupid fights, but this is a darn awkward situation if you ask me.  

×