I Hate The Way We Date

I hate the way we date today. You’re a swipe right, a poke or a DM away from spending the night at someone’s place. The standard for dating has plummeted, and we need to pull it out of the gutter.

Young people focus more on quantity than quality, and more on the physical acts than an emotional connection. Relationships are defined by whichever “base” you’ve reached instead of how hard you fall for the person, and that’s missing the point.

I love all my parents’ stories about how nervous my dad was to ask my mom on their first date and how embarrassed my mom was when she introduced him to her father. I don’t know where the trends started to fade, but my generation needs to watch some old rom coms or something because it’s getting out of control.

The stages of relationships today are just weak excuses to prolong commitment without sacrificing the physical benefits. Guys don’t walk to the front door anymore. Girls aren’t conservative anymore. We knowingly walk into a one night stand or a group hang out and constitute that as “talking,” the first stage of today’s skewed version of dating.

A person’s online profiles often say more about them than they ever will out loud. We have a habit of stalking Facebook to gather a first impression of someone before we even meet him or her. The getting-to-know-you stage is done completely through text, and the majority of the time it’s neglected as we skip straight to the “talking” stage.

The second stage begins when you start texting about things of actual substance and feel comfortable spending time alone together when you’re sober. You might refer to this as “together” but certainly not “dating.” No one dates anymore.

The third stage is where a lot of flings trail off into a gray area. Either you’re too scared to commit fully to each other, don’t see the point in being monogamous, or straight up don’t see themselves falling in love with the person.

The major problem with this whole process is the lack of respect that both parties have for each other and themselves. You should be offended if someone is willing to call you over at 1 a.m., but doesn’t like you enough to spend time with you otherwise. We forget that relationships form because someone is first and foremost attracted to your personality, and then your body- not just your body.

Experimenting and having a good time is harmless, but ultimately, you want your love interest to actually be interested in you as a person, and wants to sit down and talk to you over dinner rather than stalk your Instagram page.

Although I’m a sucker for a bouquet of flowers and an old-school drive in movie, I can agree that the Internet can help relationships succeed. Stay tuned for next week’s blog to see why the internet isn’t that bad.

×