ICA to be finished in September

Construction delays in the Intercollegiate Athletics building on the south end of Sun Devils Stadium will leave the visiting team's locker room unfinished for the first game of the season.

"Our team will have to use the north locker room, and we are not quite sure where we will house the other team," assistant athletic director Tom Sadler said while siting in his temporary office on University Drive.

The first Sun Devils game is Sept. 8 against San Diego State.

The ICA building is a facility for the athletics department that holds offices, the team shop and meeting rooms.

The project consists of renovating the entire existing structure as well as a three-story addition to the south side. The date of completion of the lower level moved from Aug. 24 to mid-September because of "unforeseen conditions that happen in construction," Sadler said.

The postponements have not affected the $1.9 million budget.

"Everyone has been really patient and (people affected by the construction) realize that, in the end, it will be a better situation," Sadler said.

On the lower level, the weight room will triple in size and receive new equipment. The plans also call for repositioning the team's locker room to create more space.

The rest of the building is scheduled to be finished by spring 2002. A Hall of Fame complete with a skylight will be the center attraction. It will also include a computer lab, advisement and tutoring.

Ticket sales will run out of Wells Fargo Arena until the office can be moved to the ground level of the ICA building. Tickets can also be purchased at www.sundevils.com.

Reach Sandy Almendarez at salmend@imap2.asu.edu.

×