Barry Bonds' return to San Francisco Giants is step in the right direction

As a lifetime San Francisco Giants fan, I was ecstatic when the news broke Saturday that all-time home runs leader and seven-time MVP Barry Bonds would be a guest instructor at Giants spring training.

Because I live in Phoenix, I was even more excited that I might be able to see him in the flesh at Scottsdale Stadium after so many years away from the organization.

Like any high-profile athlete, Bonds will travel with a band of national journalists, but the media circus will be worth it.

Bonds will not only be able to coach one of the best young hitters in the game in Buster Posey, but he will also try to help out a team that was 29th in the MLB in homers in 2013.

It’s certainly a step in the right direction for a player that has been hard to track down since leaving the league after the 2007 season, and it can’t hurt his Hall of Fame chances.

I know I’ll be out there at Scottsdale Stadium hoping for a picture or even a few words.

Heck, maybe he’ll even drop by his alma mater when ASU baseball takes on Washington from March 14 through March 16 at Packard Stadium.

Reach the columnist at bmargiot@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @BenMargiott

×