Kelly named Pac-12 football Scholar-Athlete of the Year

Redshirt senior quarterback Taylor Kelly attempts a pass during the first half of the game against UA on Friday, Nov. 28, 2014. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez)

Redshirt senior quarterback Taylor Kelly attempts a pass during the first half of the game against UA on Friday, Nov. 28, 2014. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez) Redshirt senior quarterback Taylor Kelly attempts a pass during the first half of the game against UA on Friday, Nov. 28, 2014. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez)

School record holder and redshirt senior Taylor Kelly was named Pac-12 Football Scholar-Athlete of the Year Tuesday. Kelly is the 26th Sun Devil to receive the award and just the second ASU football player.

The award was established in 2007-08 and is given to athletes that stand out both athletically and academically. Among the twelve schools in the conference, ASU ranks second behind only Stanford in terms of number of recipients.

Each of ASU's varsity sports teams has had a student-athlete receive the award.

Kelly, who is also on the Pac-12 All-Academic First Team, passed for nearly 2,000 yards in nine games this season and has piloted the Sun Devils to three consecutive bowl games.

He is the school record holder for touchdowns accounting for with 90 and is only the second quarterback in ASU history to have multiple seasons with 3,000-plus passing yards.

Reach the sports editor at icbeck@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @ICBeck21

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow them on Twitter @statepresssport

×