Drake drops a surprise mixtape, 'Fifty Shades of Grey' dominates the box office and more

Drake & Lil Wayne, Sept. 25, 2014
Drake performs at the Ak-Chin Pavilion in Phoenix, Thursday, Sept. 25, 2014. The rapper shared the bill with Lil Wayne in a show entitled “Drake vs Lil Wayne”. (Photo by Ben Moffat)

Drake performs at the Ak-Chin Pavilion in Phoenix, Thursday, Sept. 25, 2014. The rapper shared the bill with Lil Wayne in a show entitled “Drake vs Lil Wayne”. (Photo by Ben Moffat) Drake performs at the Ak-Chin Pavilion in Phoenix, Thursday, Sept. 25, 2014. The rapper shared the bill with Lil Wayne in a show entitled “Drake vs Lil Wayne”. (Photo by Ben Moffat)

Drake Drops A Surprise Mixtape

On the night before Valentine's Day, Drake announced that he was going to pull a Beyoncé and release a surprise 17-track mixtape called “If You’re Reading This, It’s Too Late." The Canadian rapper’s new mixtape is moody, emotionally honest and his first mixtape since “So Far Gone,” which was released six years ago. The release immediately began to trend on Twitter and is already expected to hit No. 1 on the Billboard 200. The mixtape, available on iTunes and Soundcloud, also features guest spots from artists like Lil Wayne, Travi$ Scott, and PARTYNEXTDOOR.

"Fifty Shades of Grey" Breaks The Box Office

Based on the erotic novel by E.L. James, “Fifty Shades of Grey” dominated the box offices over Valentine’s weekend, making $81.6 million over three days. The R-rated drama is expected to bring in around $90 million over the four-day weekend, which would set the record for best President’s Day opening weekend. The film follows young billionaire Christian Grey and his love interest Anastasia Steele as they explore strong sexual themes. Due to these themes, there have been boycotts and social media campaigns placed against the film.

"Saturday Night Live" Celebrates 40 Years

"Saturday Night Live" celebrated its 40th anniversary on Sunday, featuring legendary former cast members and guests such as Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, Steve Martin and Dan Aykroyd. The memorable night also showcased iconic skits such as Celebrity Jeopardy, The Californians and Wayne’s World. The show kicked off with an opening monologue from Justin Timberlake and Jimmy Fallon as they paid homage to the most memorable moments from SNL through a musical medley. From Bradley Cooper making out with Betty White to Bill Murray returning to belt out the theme song from "Jaws," the live celebration featured just about anything a diehard fan of the show may want to see.

Uma Thurman Clears Up Plastic Surgery Rumors

Earlier this week, actress Uma Thurman appeared on the red carpet with a drastic new look that made her nearly unrecognizable. Rumors and speculation immediately began to circulate that the "Kill Bill" actress had made some trips to the plastic surgeon’s office. Thurman soon spoke out and denied the plastic surgery rumors by attributing the drastic new look to her makeup. Thurman looked like herself once again on The Today Show, where she admitted that she looked weird with the new look.

Reach the reporter at zmoranno@asu.edu or follow @thezackarymoran on Twitter.

×