Al Pacino, ‘Pineapple Express’ director and more to kick off Phoenix Film Festival

ENTER DANNYCOLLINS-MOVIE-REVIEW 5 MCT
Christopher Plummer, Al Pacino and Christopher Plummer star in "Danny Collins." (Bleecker Street)

In 2000, nearly 3,000 people made their way to Phoenix for what would go on to become the annual Phoenix Film Festival. Now 15 years later, over 23,000 people are expected to attend the festival’s nearly 150 screenings over a period of eight days.

“It’s pretty amazing to look back on how the festival has grown since we first started it,” festival executive director Jason Carney said. “The growth in attendance and reputation we’ve had has really helped put us on the map.”

This year’s festival kicks off Thursday night with a screening of “Crazy, Stupid, Love” director Dan Fogelman’s latest film, “Danny Collins,” starring Al Pacino.

“It’s a film we’re really excited about,” Carney said about the opening night screening. “It’s got a nice, feel good tone to it and the cast has a great rapport. It’s the perfect movie to start the festival off on the right foot.”

The film won’t be Pacino’s only movie screening at the festival. “Manglehorn,” which stars Pacino as a man trying to come to terms with the crimes of his past, will screen Friday night with director David Gordon Green (of “Pineapple Express” fame) in attendance.

“We’re really excited to have David Gordon Green at the festival this year,” Carney said. “Between his more serious films such as ‘Joe’ or his work on (HBO’s) ‘Eastbound and Down,’ I’m personally a huge fan of his work, so I think having him at the festival will be a really neat experience.”

One of the more special aspects of this year’s festival is the continuous retrospective of director Noah Baumbach’s films. Notable works of his such as “The Squid and the Whale” and “Frances Ha” will play over the weekend. The director’s newest film, “While We’re Young,” is set to close the festival.

“Mr. Baumbach is a director who I personally feel has a lot of really great indie street cred, so I’m really excited to have his newest film close the festival out on a strong note,” Carney said.

Carney added that this year’s group of films is a strong one, especially the documentary features.

“There’s a lot of diversity in them,” Carney said. “‘Making Wookie’ is a really great one about a group of kids trying to put on ‘The Empire Strikes Back: The Musical.’ ‘Far From Home’ is a really great one as well about an African snowboarder and the challenges he’s faced. It’s a really good group of films.”

The theme of this year’s festival is discovering one’s favorite film. Carney said it is his hope that those who come to the festival will do just that.

“Every year, people leave the festival and tell me that they saw their new favorite film there,” he said. “I really hope as many people who can will come down to the festival and get to find their new favorite film this year.”

The Phoenix Film Festival runs from March 26 until April 2 with screenings being held at the Harkins Scottsdale 101 theater. Tickets start at $13.

Contact this reporter at: seweinst@asu.edu or on Twitter: @S_Weinstein95

×