7 struggles of riding Valley Metro

A Tempe metro bus passes by the Tempe Transportation Center on June 3, 2014. 

When you live on a college budget in a place dominated by urban sprawl, you’ve got to learn your way around a city map. Luckily enough, the Valley offers a metro system that can take you from point A to point B

Unluckily enough, however, the long haul in between could cause hours of frustration.

If you are one of the many who rely on public transit to get around town, you’ll know these struggles all too well:

1.) Hot Bus Stop Seats: There really isn’t anything like standing in 106 degree heat for 20 minutes while you wait for your next bus. But hey, at least your city is kind enough to offer a nice, beige place to rest in the baking sunlight. Just don’t expect anything less than first degree burns once you stand back up.

2.)The Valley Metro App: For a city so well sustained on the almighty grid system, you’d think navigating its public transit would be easy, but you’d be wrong. At least you don’t have to lug around that 10-pound transit book —you have an app that alternatively freezes up whenever you need it most.

3.) The one percent battery: Let’s face it: you’re a millennial and two hours en route are never going to curb your addiction to social media. If you spend every commute mindlessly thumbing through Twitter and another article about Kim Kardashian, your battery is bound to live on a perpetual deathbed.

4.) Late Arrivals: You began your day ready to catch the first bus of your three-route commute— your ticket in one hand and your halfway-reliable app open in the other. Unfortunately, the bus wasn’t as well-prepared. It comes five minutes late and you miss your next shuttle. Hopefully your summer boss still won’t regret hiring you.

5.) Rude Bus Drivers: Granted, #NotAllValleyBusDrivers are evil, but they sure do leave an impression when they are. You could wave down the last ZERO and find yourself stranded once the driver passes you with a hearty middle finger aimed in your direction. Perhaps take that extra walk to Central Station next time.

6.) Personal Scheduling: Living in a constant state of travel is tough, but nothing is tougher than getting up at 5 a.m. to catch the 6 a.m. shuttle just so you can get to work by 8 a.m. And if you do get fired for perpetual lateness, at least you can prove your time management skills when you apply for your next job.

7.) Street Harassment: You have enough on your plate, don't you? You don't need a greasy, 70-year-old man telling you he's into "younger women" while you're crammed together in an aluminum tube, right? *sigh* If only you lived in a society that valued your right to your own personal space. 

Reach the reporter at aplante@asu.edu or follow  @aimeenplante on Twitter

×