Former ASU baseball coach Pat Murphy named Padres interim manager

Murphy coached at ASU for 14 years, leading Sun Devil baseball to four conference titles and two College World Series appearances.

Pat Murphy

(Photo courtesy of Sun Devil Athletics).

Update: June 16, 2015 at 10:20 a.m.

Former ASU baseball head coach Pat Murphy was named the San Diego Padres interim manager for the remainder of the 2015 season Tuesday.

Murphy went going to San Diego Monday to interview for the vacant Padres' managerial position, according to MLB Networks' Peter Gammons.

Murphy, who was serving as the manager of the Padres' Triple-A affiliate, the El Paso Chihuahuas, interviewed for the vacancy upon the Padres' firing of manager Bud Black on Monday, according to ESPN's Keith Olbermann and other sources.

Earlier in the season, San Diego's front office did not allow him to leave to take the Brewers head bench coaching job under former player Craig Counsell, creating speculation of whether or not the organization was grooming him to be Black's replacement.

The Padres are currently 32-34, and sit in fourth place in the NL West despite big-name acquisitions in Justin Upton, Matt Kemp and James Shields this offseason.

Murphy was the coach at ASU from 1995-2009, where his teams won Pac-10 championships in 2000, 2007, 2008 and 2009, including World Series Appearances in 2007 and 2009. He also won Baseball America's Coach of the Year Award in 1998 and was named Pac-10 Coach of the Year in all four years where his team won the conference title. 

Murphy's record at ASU was 629-284-1, including a streak of 100 consecutive weeks in college baseball's Top 25 poll. During his time as just the third head coach in Sun Devil baseball history, he became the youngest collegiate coach to reach 500 wins. 

During a historic streak from 1995-2004, Murphy's teams had not been shut out in 506 consecutive games, shattering the previous NCAA record of 349 games set by Coastal Carolina. In that run, ASU went 338-167-1, averaging 9.4 runs per game. 

He also led the Sun Devils to seven seasons of 40 wins or more, including two 50-win seasons. During 1995-2004, his team had a streak 

During his time at ASU, he had No. 1-ranked recruiting classes in 1995 and 2009. Eventually, 119 of his players were selected in the MLB Draft. 

However, he was forced to resign in November 2009 when the ASU baseball program was under investigation after allegations of academic fraud, recruiting violations, and conflicts of interest regarding Murphy's players working for his nonprofit were made by a former program employee, according to the Arizona Republic. 

As a result of the NCAA's findings of seven major violations and two minor violations, including a "lack of institutional control," ASU was placed under probation from 2010-2013, with a postseason ban in 2011 and a reduction in scholarships.

Murphy has never played or coached in the major leagues.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook or follow @statepresssport on Twitter

×