ASU football's Tim White quickly adjusting to life as a Sun Devil

Speed is the word that describes ASU football wide receiver Tim White in several ways

Ardaya White Camp T
State Press Sports reporter Fabian Ardaya interviews Redshirt junior Wide Receiver after practice at Camp Tontozona Thursday August 13, 2015. (Jacob Stanek/The State Press)

CAMP TONTOZONA, Ariz. -- New ASU football wide receiver Tim White does a lot of things quickly.

In fact, if you take your eye off of him for just a second, as some defensive backs have learned, you might miss him.

White was a post-signing day addition to the Sun Devils out of College of the Canyons (Santa Clarita, Calif.), and has been forced into the fold since officially joining the program last week.

"I've never experienced anything like this before," White said. "The transfer over to Division I is definitely a big raise for me and I just have to raise my game and bring it every day."

The 5-foot-10, 170-pound wide receiver has moved quickly up the depth chart, even receiving regular first-team snaps and being one of the players that head coach Todd Graham has said he considers to be in the starting rotation at wide receiver.

"The grasp of the offense is coming extremely well," White said. "I learned it pretty fast and just trying to make plays and limit the mistakes. Come out to practice early and fire out right away."

Perhaps more important than learning the offensive schemes has been White's chemistry with redshirt senior quarterback Mike Bercovici, which has developed more and more in recent weeks. Bercovici found the former JuCo wide receiver for a pair of scores during 11-on-11 action Thursday.

"He's a leader," White said of Bercovici. "He's been here for five years. He's used to working with different receivers, so he's familiar with the situation. He's just trying to get me in it and have me do the right things and once I earn that trust from the fifth-year senior, it's going to click right away."

White has excelled in the "2" wide receiver position that was primarily occupied by injured wide receiver Cam Smith last season, which emphasizes White's speed and quickness.

"(It's a) perfect spot," he said. "I've got to be able to catch the ball on the slants, I can catch the ball deep and I'm a guy that can really do anything, just like all of our receivers and get out there and play."

Graham has been complimentary of White's consistency in camp so far, singling out his performance Thursday, saying the potential combination of newcomers White, Devin Lucien and De'Chavon Hayes could be particularly difficult to stop.

"You put that group out there on the field, now that's a lot of speed," Graham said. 

Reach the reporter at fardaya@asu.edu or follow @fardaya15 on Twitter.

×