Letter to the Editor: Feb. 2

HYPOCRISY IN DEMOCRACY

(In reference to the Jan. 31 protest) I am writing in reference to the protest held at the corner of Mill and University on Monday afternoon.  I would like to point out the apparent hypocrisy of the demonstration.

The protest supposedly supported democracy in Egypt. However, it quickly morphed into a hate rally against Israel.

First of all, the current political situation in Egypt has absolutely no connection whatsoever to the Israeli government or the Palestinian issue.

Secondly, Israel is to date the only democratic government in the entire Middle East.

Thus in the context of lack of civil rights it seems inconsistent to bash the only nation in the Middle East that currently guarantees the rights of women, homosexuals, religion, etc.

Likewise, the protesters brandished logos representing the Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip.  Hamas openly disregards gay rights, women's rights, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of the press, etc.  On Nov. 17, 2007, Palestinian-Hamas gunmen forcibly dispersed a demonstration of 200,000 Palestinians.

Six were shot to death and 80 others were wounded. Hamas enforces stoning of "adulterous" women and EuropeNews reported that Hamas even legalized crucifixion as a means of execution on Christmas, 2008.

In short, "democratic ideals" are only espoused when they promote their own ideals.  And the voice of the opposing minority is not just silenced. It is destroyed. It is sickening hypocrisy to see people holding a sign that says "Honk if You Love Freedom" next to a sign emblazoning "NO JUSTICE NO PEACE." This is NOT democracy.

Y.M. Ben-Caro

Reader

×