Shout out to all Pat’s Run participants.   In seven years the event has grown from 5,000 participants to 28,000. It’s raised millions of dollars for the Tillman Foundation, including the Tillman Military Scholarship program — an extraordinary way to honor an extraordinary human being.

The event is so well run and marketed, and Tillman’s story is so inspirational, organizers for the event are talking about expanding it globally.  According to a story in The East Valley Tribune, 27 more events are being planned in cities like Boston and Seattle, and countries like the Republic of Turkey and Afghanistan.

"How much of an impact did Pat have on people? Well, we have people flying in from 48 states, getting hotel rooms and paying entry fees to run four miles,” foundation deputy director Marcy Wojtulewicz told the Tribune. “This is overwhelming. I have never seen an event grow so fast. As a fund-raiser, you cannot describe this.”

The Tillman Military Scholarship goes to active and veteran service members and their families — a segment of the population that deserves our full support but is sadly often neglected.

The legacy of Pat Tillman, a Sun Devil, should imbue pride in all alumni and students. The event should too.

Reach Nick at nick.ruland@asu.edu

×