Technology plays an important role in our lives.

Smartphones, the most mobile technology of all, are becoming quite popular. With so much information available at our fingertips it’s no wonder that we want our cell phones with us at all times — even while driving.

It’s not shocking to look over and see someone checking their phone while at a red light or sending a text message when traffic is moving slowly. People just can’t seem to put their cell phones down, no matter what. It’s just too addicting.

For the past couple of years, distracted driving, especially texting while driving, has become a huge issue within the U.S. In 2008, it became illegal for Californians to use their phones while driving; all cell phone use must be hands-free.

California is not the only state to take action against distracted driving. Connecticut, New York, New Jersey and the District of Columbia also prohibit cell phone use while driving.

There are three types of distracted driving: visual, manual and cognitive.

Visual involves taking your eyes off the road, manual involves taking your hands of the wheel and cognitive involves taking your mind off what you’re doing. Texting employs all three distractions.

According to texting-while-driving.org, a website dedicated to exposing the dangers of distracted driving and to create awareness, most states, including Arizona, are attempting to pass legislation that would make driving while texting a ticketable offense.

So what’s the big deal? Some people may argue that they need to have their phone by them at all times just in case something important comes up. Many people are under the impression that spending a few seconds checking their phone won’t harm anybody.

According to the Federal Communications Commission, mobile communications are linked to a significant increase in distracted driving, resulting in injury and loss of life. The FCC is working with various organizations in order to increase awareness and decrease the amount of distracted driving.

When sending a text message, you are not focused on driving. You must take your eyes of the road and you become more focused on the text message that you are reading and/or sending than you are on your surroundings.

Texting while driving can also have fatal consequences. In 2008, The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reported that driver distraction was the cause of 16 percent of all fatal crashes.

According to texting-while-driving.org, texting while driving is more dangerous than drunk driving. Studies show that texting while driving slows down your reaction time even more than a drunk driver’s reaction time.

You could miss a multitude of things during the short time you spend reading and sending a text message.

The light could change, the car in front of you could suddenly brake, or you could hit a pedestrian. Anything is possible; you never know what could happen when you are driving, even when you are completely focused.

If you just can’t seem to pull yourself away from your phone when you are driving, just remember the consequences, both legal and fatal, that are accompanied with distracted driving. No text message is worth a ticket, a car accident or the loss of a life.

Reach the columnist at agales@asu.edu

×