Most people view childbirth as a wondrous, celebratory occasion and are excited to welcome a new baby into the world. Things are  a bit different, however, when the parents of said baby are international superstars.

Celebrities are always in the spotlight, so it came as no surprise that the birth of Beyoncé and Jay-Z’s baby was huge news this weekend. Ever since Beyoncé revealed her pregnancy last August at the MTV Video Music Awards, she has received a copious amount of attention, both good and bad.  It wasn’t long before rumors circulated that her pregnancy was fraudulent and she was wearing a fake baby bump. It was even rumored the couple had used a surrogate.

Now that Beyoncé has finally given birth to her daughter, the rumors and theories have only gotten worse. The birth of little Blue Ivy caused an explosion across social networks online shortly after she was born. How many babies can claim their first birthday was a trending topic on Twitter? Some people expressed disappointment with the couple’s choice of a name, while others tried to find some sort of hidden, evil message behind it.

One of the craziest theories claims Blue Ivy is “Lucifer’s daughter.” Ivy allegedly stands for “Illuminati’s Very Youngest” and Blue translates into “Born Living Under Evil.”  Conspiracy theorists are also saying Eulb Yvi (Blue Ivy spelled backwards) means “Lucifer’s daughter” in Latin.

I’m not sure what’s more concerning, the fact that the Latin translation is completely incorrect or that someone would make up something so bizarre. Surely people can’t believe this craziness, right? Hopefully Jay-Z and Beyoncé are too busy taking care of their baby to pay attention to the nonsense that’s taking over social media.

Do people really have the time on their hands to fabricate such outlandish theories? It really is concerning that an  innocent baby is accused of being the spawn of Satan simply because she is the child of celebrities.

It’s just further evidence that people are becoming too engrossed in the lives of celebrities and losing sight of reality. Millions of babies are born every day but once a celebrity gives birth, madness ensues. This is an apparent case of “celebrity worship syndrome,” something that is nothing new to this country.

Some psychologists believe people become overly attached to celebrities in order to escape their own lives. Of course, there is nothing wrong with having a favorite celebrity and being in the know, but there is something wrong with finding secret messages in a child’s name.

Regardless of what feelings you have (or don’t have) about Beyoncé and Jay-Z’s new baby, it’s pretty safe to assume she is not Lucifer’s daughter or “born living under evil.”  She is just a baby who happens to have famous parents, nothing more and nothing less.

Reach the columnist at agales@asu.edu

×