ASU technology team prepares for Shanghai

Lecturer Yinong Chen explains the construction and idea of a previously constructed robot similar to the one three ASU students will build in a competition in China this summer. (Photo by Jessie Wardarski)

Three computer systems engineering seniors will represent ASU at the Intel Cup Undergraduate Electronic Design Contest in Shanghai in July.

Chris McBride, Chase Parenteau and Anthony Thau are the first students from ASU to be invited to compete in the contest.

The competition has been held every two years since 2002. It is hosted by Shanghai Jiao Tong University and sponsored by the Intel Corporation.

The event acts as an opportunity for undergraduate students from all over the world to build a computer system based on an assigned Intel embedded platform.

Lecturer of computer science and engineering Yinong Chen will accompany the students.

“Ultimately, our team will create a robotic model that utilizes embedded engineering to solve a real world problem in the industrial market,” Chen said.

Thau said in an email that he is optimistic about his team’s chances of winning the competition.

“I'm very lucky to be able to work with some of the best students in my department and at this university,” Thau said. “I know that with time and determination, my team and I will be able to complete a successful project and learn many concepts along the way.”

At the competition, the teams will be allotted an hour to present the details of their system and its unique features before a panel of judges.

ASU and the Intel have been working together on different types of software development for many years, assistant professor of computer science and engineering Aviral Shrivastava said.

“We have had a very long relationship with the Intel community. Intel represents a very close partnership with ASU and they give us a lot of feedback,” Shrivastava said.

Reach the reporter at mjgordo1@asu.edu

×