USG makes final push for Walk Your Wheels campaign

The Walk Your Wheels campaign is heating up this spring with an increase in signage around the Tempe campus, and is recruiting volunteers for a student committee aimed at increasing education about pedestrian safety. (Photo by Shawn Raymundo)

ASU could become a wheel-free environment by 2013 as Undergraduate Student Government’s Walk Your Wheels campaign rounds its final turn this spring before potentially becoming a complete ban.

If the campaign is unsuccessful, the University will look into alternative solutions to keep pedestrians safe, which could include a ban on bikes and skateboards on the Tempe campus, a decision students probably won’t agree with, USG Vice President of Student Services Kaitlin O’Neil said.

“This is the last option,” O’Neil said. “If this initiative doesn’t succeed, there’s a very good chance that they’ll get rid of all of the bike racks, they’ll fine everybody who’s riding bikes on campus and that anything with wheels on campus won’t be allowed.”

Parking and Transit Services is standing behind USG’s campaign and giving them full support before exploring other options, said Sarah Mason, communications specialist with the University Business Services Communications Team.

“The hope is that the campaign will be successful and other alternatives will not need to be explored,” she said. “We believe the Walk Your Wheels campaign is headed in the right direction.”

The campaign was introduced to the student body last fall, but this semester, USG is reaching out to students and campus clubs.

Before passing the torch to her successor, former Vice President of Student Services Tina Mounlavongsy started putting together a student committee to help raise awareness of the campaign by passing out fliers and Walk Your Wheels participation cards.

“A lot of students approached me last semester (expressed) wanting to work with this initiative and be part of a committee that helped educate students about the issue and create a bigger culture change,” Mounlavongsy said.

USG is accepting applications from students to work with the committee as “spotters” and pass out fliers to people on campus, O’Neil said.

“We want to make it not about USG staff doing it, but about anyone committed to the cause, being out there, handing out fliers to people on their bikes,” she said.

The committee is made up of a handful of students and USG staff, but membership is growing and training will begin in a few weeks.

Riders will notice an increase in committee members stationed around the Memorial Union and Palm Walk, which have been historically high traffic areas.

O’Neil said in addition to having an increase in “spotters” around campus, more signs will be implemented throughout the malls and streets.

Mounlavongsy said educating incoming freshman during orientation and Fall Welcome will have the most impact in changing student attitudes toward wheels on campus.

“Over time as the seniors are graduating and the freshman come in and are introduced to Walk Your Wheels, (ASU will) see more and more students on Orange or on Palm Walk, walk their wheels rather than trying to ride through it,” she said.

O’Neil said she wants to continue supporting the campaign Mounlavongsy started because she wants to see the University succeed and overcome the challenge it faces with safety around campus. She, too, rides a bike around campus and would not like that option taken away.

“It’s important to make our campus as safe as can be,” she said. “Making it safe for everyone, so that we can all get to class however we choose, as safely and efficiently as possible.”

Reach the reporter at sraymund@asu.edu

×