Piece of Craft: Painted Leather Bracelet Tutorial

A DIY leather bracelet. Photo from DelightedMomma.com.

In the past, I have tried to make bracelets out of leather but have not been successful. Why? Probably because I was just winging it and didn’t know much about what I was doing, unlike the tutorial from the blog Delighted Momma that explains how to make leather bracelets in easy steps.  Lindsay, the author of the blog, writes about all kinds of various DIY projects, as well as about food, skin care and other things pertaining to her life. Besides the tutorial I am going to talk about in this post, I highly recommend checking out this blog!

For this tutorial, Lindsay suggests the following materials:

• a strip of leather (can be found at a craft store such as Michaels)
  • button snaps for closure
  • paint brush
  • paint (acrylic)
  • scissors
  • painters tape (if you’re planning on doing a type of design)

Lindsay used a chevron design for her bracelet, but you can do essentially anything.  Some good ideas are stripes (vertical or horizontal), checkerboard, arrows and dots.  As you start on this project, have an idea in the back of your mind.

Start this project by cutting your piece of leather to the width that you prefer.  Then use your tape to decide what type of pattern or design you want on your bracelet.  Then from there, use your acrylic paint to paint your bracelet -- it’s that simple!

To close your bracelet, first make sure it’s dry from the paint.  Then attach the button closures, and your bracelet will snap perfectly together.

Much to my surprise, this tutorial was super easy (almost ridiculously so) and cheap, too.  If you’re looking for an easy, wearable craft to make, try this one first.

If you have any comments, questions, etc. feel free to e-mail me at fbreisbl@asu.edu.

×