Broke's the New Black: The Lengths for Lashes

There are many types of false eyelashes. Photo from twoheartstogether.com.

Voluminous. Thick. Long. Dramatic. Show-stopping. The adjectives used in mascara ads are endless and they all promise the same thing: better lashes than you already have.

Dating back from 4,000 B.C., Egyptians were the first to darken their eyelashes using charcoal and soot (according the encyclopedia.com.) Since then, society has developed countless ways to enhance your lashes and I, being the beauty nut I am, have tried them all. Here’s a little run down of lash options and my personal opinion on them.

Mascara

It is obvious that mascara is the simplest way to get great lashes, but there are so many kinds. I’m a believer in trial and error and usually never buy the same tube twice. From Chanel to Dior to Givency to Covergirl to Maybeline, I’ve tried all brands. The more expensive tubes do not deem any better results. I would never spend more than $10 on mascara. The drugstore brands purposely replicate these designer cosmetics and render the same product. So unless you’re a label snob, Maybeline is fine. The one problem with mascara: You need to apply it every day. Prices range from $6-$30.

Dying Lashes

The next option is dying your lashes. Available at most salons, an esthetician can actually dye your lashes black. The perks of this service is that your lashes are black 24/7, so it’s a great option for people with blonde or light-colored lashes. The problem is that it doesn’t add any length or depth, so unless you’ve been blessed with great eyes, it may not be worth the money. The dye lasts about one month and is usually around $15-$20. 

Falsies

This is the instant dramatic option. For just a few dollars, they provide the most noticeable effect. They will give you better lashes then just mascara would, but they are tricky to put on. Even after you’ve mastered application, they still require patience and time. Depending on the brand, falsies range $3-$20. Like I’ve said before, there’s really no reason to pay more then $5 for them.

Extensions

I just took the plunge and got eyelash extensions and I have never received so many compliments for my makeup in my life. The service involves gluing individual extensions to each of your natural lashes. The initial appointment takes two hours and touch ups are one hour. My favorite part about them is that I wake up in the morning with a full fan of lashes and they don’t smear at the gym. They’ve also already saved me countless time on makeup application. The one problem is that they are the most expensive lash option and need to be touched up every three to four weeks.

For recommendations to salons, estheticians, or extension applications, email me and I’ll give you the contact to the best (and cheapest) ones in the Valley!

For comments or questions, email me at amlarso2@asu.edu or follow me @soamandawaslike. 

×