Gym Devils place sixth in Pac-12 championships

Samantha Seaman performs a floor routine in a meet against Stanford on March 9. Seaman and the Sun Devils placed sixth in the Pac-12 championships last weekend. (Photo by Beth Easterbrook)

The Gym Devils’ performance at the University of Denver during the Pac-12 championships this past weekend was parallel to how they’ve been doing all season: not quite up to their potential but with many positive signs.

The No. 25 ASU gymnastics team (6-14, 4-10 Pac-12) was not at its best as it competed in two quad meets the past two weekends.

The Sun Devils have yet to secure that breakout meet during the second half of the season.

At DU, ASU managed a 194.225. One bright spot was sophomore Samantha Seaman, who scored a 39.150 in the all-around, scoring higher than 9.800 in three events.

Rather than one major disaster, it was several miscues on each event that haunted the Gym Devils.

Most recently, the Gym Devils competed in the Pac-12 championships. Entering the meet as the No. 7 seed, they finished the meet in sixth place, scoring a 194.550.

UCLA won with a score of 197.425.

Senior Beaté Jones, in her last Pac-12 championship meet, led the Sun Devils once again. She placed eighth in the all-around, posting a 39.075.

The Gym Devils started rough on the uneven bars. Two falls forced them to absorb a low score in the first event.

ASU was able to quickly forget those mistakes and excelled for the rest of the meet.

“We had a problem on bars, but the girls just came back so strong and the attitudes were great with a lot of team energy,” assistant coach Tom Ward said. “Overall, we were pretty happy with our performance. The Devils were tough and finished strong.”

ASU performed exceptionally well in the floor event, scoring a 49.000. Freshman Morgan Steigerwalt scored a 9.850 and senior Amanda Davies posted a 9.825.

The positive energy coming from the Gym Devils doesn’t quite show in their scores.

In their first seven meets, they were able to score above a 195.000 four different times.

ASU hasn’t reached that mark in more than a month.

The possibility of top-level scores is there, but there has just been a case of untapped potential lately.

For the next couple weeks, the Gym Devils will prepare for the NCAA Regional Championships in April.

Reach the reporter at gdemano@asu.edu

Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook. Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press email newsletter.

×