Dan Savage speaks about fetishes, insecurity

(Photo courtesy of Dan Savage)
(Photo courtesy of Dan Savage)

Renowned sex columnist Dan Savage and producer Lauren Hutchinson will be MTV’s newest co-hosts of “Savage U.” The upcoming series is a refreshingly candid approach to just about all sex questions that are on everyone’s mind but are just too afraid to ask.

According to Savage, “If we taught driver’s education the way we teach sex education, no one would survive their first car trip.”

Savage and Hutchinson will embark on a nationwide, college campus tour in an effort to speak with students about their concerns related to sex, dating and relationships. The State Press was able to partake in a conference call with the two hosts to find out more about the new show.

Question: How were the colleges chosen?

Dan Savage: We drew up a list of universities that wanted us to come. We chose a variety of big and small, state and private and party versus conservative schools. We wanted to give the audience a (variety).

Q: Why was a college demographic chosen and not a high school one?

DS: I don’t think there are a lot of principals that want to get fired [laughs]. I never received an invitation, but I do get a lot of high school (students) writing to me.

Q: What specific taboo subject did you notice people wanted to talk about?

Lauren Hutchinson: The female ejaculation concept.

DS: Sometimes fetishes came up through the Q&A. As far as I’m concerned, there is no taboo. It’s part of a grand spectacle in human sexuality.

Q: What was the single most recurring issue brought up?

DS: People are always attempting to edit themselves to attract a person. They are afraid of being who they really are. You can’t maintain a false front forever.

Q: Why are students hesitant to speak openly about sex?

DS: People want to think they already know everything. People are afraid to admit they don’t know what they’re doing. They don’t want to seem vulnerable or inexperienced. It’s important for people to reach out and ask for advice in a culture that asks for people to be ignorant. When you let it just happen, that’s when you get in trouble.

Q: What were your personal expectations for the show?

DS: To speak on TV about sex just as I speak in my column about sex. I wanted a reality-based approach to sex. The show is different from the column. I can't use the same words, but I also wanted to stay true to my take on sex.

LH: I had no personal goals, but I was expecting to have a great experience and to learn and laugh a lot. All of those things happened.

MTV’s “Savage U” will premiere April 3 at 11 p.m. ET/PT.

Reach the reporter at cstarboa@asu.edu

Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook. Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press email newsletter.

×