Gym Devils finish fourth in regionals to conclude season

Samantha Seaman performs on the uneven bars in a meet against Cal on Jan. 20. Seaman and the Sun Devils finished their season with a fourth-place finish at the NCAA regionals. (Photo by Beth Easterbrook)

Many may say the Gym Devils didn’t meet their goals, but the team finished the season with its best regional finish since 2006.

The ASU women’s gymnastics team (8-17, 4-11 Pac-12) scored a 194.400 and finished fourth in the event. It was the sixth straight meet in which they were not able to score a 195.000 or higher.

Although the Sun Devils didn’t come away with big scores in their last meet, it didn’t mean they didn’t succeed in some sense.

“I thought we did a great job on beam starting out,” coach John Spini said. “I just thought the scores didn’t show the job we did. What can I say? I was really pleased with the team. We did a great job on three events. We were just rough on bars.”

ASU performed one of its best vault events of the season, scoring a 48.925.

Sophomore Samantha Seaman placed sixth on vault, posting a 9.850.

Seaman scored a 38.950 in the all-around and stood out for the Sun Devils as the season progressed, performing in the all-around several times.

“I think Samantha Seaman did really well as an all-arounder and did a great job for us as a sophomore,” Spini said. “She looks to be a top contributor again next season. She’s going to be a great gymnast. She did an outstanding job on vault, and I was just really pleased with her overall.”

Senior Beaté Jones scored a 38.825 in the all-around in the last NCAA meet of her fifth and final year as a Sun Devil.

Jones competed in the all-around in every meet this season and was certainly the Gym Devils’ leader and biggest contributor.

“We’re really proud of the girls,” assistant coach Tom Ward said. “They’ve come a long way.”

The Gym Devils started the season off well going 4-0, but haven’t been able to win a dual meet since.

However, big wins versus ranked teams and several weeks of being in the nation’s top 25 proved why this team was one of the most improved since last year.

Reach the reporter at gdemano@asu.edu

Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook. Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press email newsletter.

×