Letter: Nuclear Iran would trigger Middle East arms race

As the semester ends, many ASU students graduate and embark on life’s journeys. Most of us take a safe journey for granted.

Halfway across the world, Iran draws closer each day to nuclear capabilities, and there is no question that its nuclear ambitions are not for energy development, but for military use. Some would like to deny the reality of Iran’s nuclear development, but it has been confirmed by multiple sources of intelligence, including the International Atomic Energy Agency. The most recent National Intelligence Estimate reports that Iran is already able to enrich uranium to a level sufficient for creating a bomb.

If you have any doubts, consider the fact that both parties in Congress agree on the Iran nuclear threat. Last December, the Iran Threat Reduction Act passed in Congress by a vote of 410-11. The Senate voted 100-0 to place stronger sanctions on Iran’s Central Bank.  When both sides are nearly unanimous, reality cannot be denied. Unfortunately, though, existing sanctions do not seem sufficient —Iran’s nuclear work continues.

Iran, well known for its hatred of America, has offered to share nuclear technology with its allies and with terrorists. Can we fool ourselves that another terrorist attack could never happen here? A nuclear Iran could have other negative impacts as well, including destabilization of the Middle East and interruption of important oil supplies, potentially causing oil prices to soar. A nuclear Iran would trigger a Middle East arms race, and would end the global non-proliferation regime.

Let’s all look this danger squarely in the face and support our elected officials in their bipartisan response, even if this response is aggressive. As students and emerging adults, we count on a safe and stable world — but if we do not respond to this threat, we cannot assume safety will be available.

Michelle Gaynor

Undergraduate

Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook. Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press email newsletter.

×