Sun Devil spirit celebrated at Pitchfork Awards

Travis Marshall won the Sun Devil Spirit Pitchfork Award on Tuesday night. He is known for his involvement in dance offs at sporting events, connections to many student organizations, and overall enthusiasm for being a sun devil. (Photo by Jenn Allen)

The inaugural Pitchfork Awards recognized achievements of ASU students, clubs and organizations Tuesday at the Orpheum Theatre in downtown Phoenix.

The first winner of the evening was the astronomy club, AstroDevils, for most promising new student organization.

Engineering junior Travis Marshall won in the individual category of Sun Devil Spirit.

“Without such an amazing university, there would be no point in having spirit,” Marshall said. “This is for ASU.”

The Sun Devil Reps, a student organization that encourages students to attend ASU sporting events, won the group category for the Sun Devil Spirit Award.

Softball player Dallas Escobedo won the Outstanding NCAA Student Athlete Award.

“I am so thankful that I chose to go to ASU,” Escobedo said.  “I could not imagine myself anywhere else.”

Carly Price, who plays club volleyball, won the award for Outstanding Non-NCAA Student Athlete.

The West campus event, Holocaust Survivor, won Best Educational Program With Less Than 500 Attendees. The forum gave the community a chance to hear from a survivor.

MU After Dark, which had a total of more than 15,000 students attend its events in 2011, won both Best Educational Program and Best Recurring Program With Over 500 Attendees.

Dan Savage: It Gets Better, an event that teaches LGBTQA rights, won Best Entertainment Program With Fewer Than 500 Attendees.

Sparky’s Spooky Haunted House & Carnival on West campus was named Best Entertainment Program With More Than 500 Attendees.

Best Program Celebrating Campus Diversity With Fewer Than 500 Attendees winner was LGBTQA Coalition and RHA’s Get Your Drag On!

Mr. & Ms. Indian ASU Pageant, an event organized by the Ms. Indian ASU Committee, won Best Program Celebrating Campus Diversity With Over 500 Attendees.

The annual winter experience, Winter Warmth, was named Best Recurring Program With Under 500 Attendees.

Sustainability senior Eric Beeler and political science sophomore Natasha Yenina, who worked to reduce bottled water consumption on the Tempe campus, won Outstanding Sustainable Project.

The Community Service Coalition was awarded the Changemaker Award for Group Service.

The Pi Kappa Phi’s annual Bike-A-Thon, whose funds support people with disabilities in the community, was the winner of the Changemaker Award for Social Change.

Geography junior Tyler Eltringham, creator of the free vaccine program ONEshot Global, won the Changemaker Entrepreneur Award.

“It all started with support from ASU,” Eltringham said.

Film undergraduate Jared Doles won Changemaker of the Year for his community service work.

Audience members chose the winners of the Best Live Performance Category after watching the three finalists — the Dixie Devils, the Hip Hop Coalition and the Pitchforks — perform.

The women's acapella group Pitchforks received the award.

Winners of the Outstanding Advisor award were Amanda Bowling of the LGBTQA Coalition and MU After Dark, and Stacey Flores of the Kappa Delta Chi sorority.

Sustainability undergraduate Max Scott, creator of the world’s first Honor Society for Sustainability, was named Outstanding Student Leader.

Beyond Regulations was named Outstanding Graduate Student Organization. The organization aims to understand health issues in real life situations.

The Hispanic Business Student Association won the University-Sponsored Outstanding Undergraduate Student Organization.

The bi-weekly newspaper @West News was named Independent Outstanding Undergraduate Student Organization.

Reach the reporter at dpbaltaz@asu.edu

×