Pitchfork Sports: New Rec Centers Highlight Intramural Sports

ASU is reconstructing its fitness centers campus-wide.

If you haven't made your way to the West or Polytechnic campus yet, August 28th might be the ideal time if you're into some dodgeball — in a cage.

The fitness center on the Polytechnic campus is getting a new look. Photo by Evan Triantafilidis.

The West campus will be hosting a cage dodgeball tournament to introduce the two new athletic fields that were put in over the summer. Both the Polytechnic and West campuses are near completion of their new Sun Devil Fitness Complex.

Coincidentally, the reconstruction on two ASU campuses is at a time when another campus is undergoing changes as well. The Tempe campus Student Rec Center, too, is undergoing construction to expand their facility.

Most of ASU is getting an overhaul, but their timelines differ.

While the Tempe campus will have to wait a whole year, the Polytechnic and West campuses are waiting until December and next January, respectively, to open the doors of the new facilities.

Both complexes feature a 10,000 square foot weight and fitness area. So, if you're trying to bulk up for the upcoming flag football league at the Polytechnic campus, or build endurance for the Enduro-Devil events at the West campus, new facilities will be opening soon.

As someone who has only lived in the Tempe and in the Downtown Phoenix campus, these new recreation centers give me the perfect reason to visit the other half of the university I go to.

The Cage Dodgeball players will be the first Sun Devils on the new fields of the West campus. And, if you are still wondering what Cage Dodgeball exactly is, don’t over think it. It’s still your classic backyard brawl game, except there is no escaping the dodgeball coming straight for your head at 50 miles per hour.

A couple wrenches and a few pre-game viewings of Ben Stiller and Vince Vaughn in their movie, “Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story,” should be the perfect combo before attending the tournament.

All ASU students are allowed to sign up, and more details will be provided as more intramural sports are being introduced.

Polytechnic's fitness center reconstruction goes beyond its outer walls. Photo by Evan Triantafilidis.

For example, Downtown Phoenix campus is featuring a wiffle ball tournament in September. Because I am from the state that founded the official wiffle ball (that’s right, Connecticut), my talents may be taken to the Downtown Phoenix campus for this event.

There are more sports to choose from. Future intramurals include: kickball, 3v3 basketball, floor hockey, team bowling and table tennis.

The 2012-13 school year is starting off with a lot of intramural opportunities and reasons to explore the university you have yet to fully see. Take advantage of the team sports offered by the university, and be there for the openings of the new Sun Devil Fitness Complexes.

You can contact me at etrianta@asu.edu

×