Tech Spec: Do technology and sustainability get along?

Sustainability in technology has potential to growth if given the opportunity. Photo by Courtland Jeffrey.

The push towards being sustainable seems to be more popular every year. But, when technology gets involved, many people do not know how the two interrelate.

Sophomore Sustainability student Max Christman has a notion. He defined the role technology plays in the sustainable world:

There are  mixed feelings between sustainable people and technology. Christman says some people view the Industrial Revolution as the cause of many troubles today. He went on to talk about some of the positive roles that technology plays in this field.

Christman says it is not about “getting your opinion out, but communicating.”

Sustainability in technology has potential for growth if given the opportunity. Photo by Courtland Jeffrey.

Technology plays a bigger role than just spreading the word. Technology aids in intercontinental relations, which allows for greater development.

A segue: how can technology become more sustainable?

“The earth has finite resources-- we need to learn to build things to stay," Christman says.

Christman explained further.

Terms were brought up that some (including myself) might not have heard before, like “upcycling,” “downcycling” and “cradle-to-cradle.” Upcycling refers to recycling the item and creating better items from it, while downcycling is when lower quality items are being produced from the recycled items. The other term is cradle-to-cradle: when an item’s use is complete, it can be reused either as a whole or in part.

According to Christman, the hopeful future of sustainability is to move more towards upcycling and a cradle-to-cradle design for our products: “Technology gives us a good chance to cradle-to-cradle.”

Christman now looks forward into the future dynamic of technology and sustainability. While some sustainable people are opposed to technology, he sees the transition into technology as something that needs to done for progress to be made.

“We have to do it, it has to be done," he says. "We have to move into sustainable technology in this digital age.”

Technology plays a large role in sustainability, aiding in communication and advancement. This dynamic is still growing; it has the potential to create many new improvements on sustainable living and technology usage. Maybe one day upcycling will be in full effect and today’s devices will help build tomorrow's.

You can reach me on Twitter at @Court_Jeffrey or via email at cejeffre@asu.edu. Happy recycling!

×