Tech Spec: It's just like sitting on your couch

The bicycles are equipped with a television monitor, offering a variety of channels to choose from. Photo by Courtland Jeffrey.

People who pass by (or watch the webcam of) the Sun Devil Fitness Complex can clearly see renovations are underway to offer a better exercise experience for ASU students. But, the outside is not the only change that is being made. The cardio machines in the SDFChave been replaced with new, top-of-the-line cardio machines.

The treadmills, ellipticals, bikes and step machines have been replaced with technology-integrated machines from maker Precor.

Located on each of these machines are touch screens that allow for a whole new way for the user to exercise. The machines display the expected exercise stats, like pace, distance, heart rate (while holding onto the sensors) and more. The equipment’s abilities even go one step further.

The bicycles are equipped with a television monitor that offer a variety of channels to choose from. Photo by Courtland Jeffrey.

Each machine has a television feature and the capability to connect and control Apple devices via the touch screen. Many students are for this upgrade, including Senior Earth and Environmental Studies major Nicole Kotlan.

Nicole tried out the machines for the first time the other day and, since she was new to the upgraded experience, she was very opinionated in the upgrades:

“I got the general idea, but I still do not know how to do it all,” said Nicole, in regards to using the machines. While her time exercising at the gym was not spectacular (her equipment would not play television), she felt that the Precor machines were a good step forward for the SDFC.

This adjustment to the new machines can be somewhat problematic, as not everyone is tech savvy. But Freshmen Communications major Sammy Lang was unfazed; she says she enjoys her workouts on the new equipment.

For anyone who has yet to mess around with these exercise add-ons, the best recommendation is to just spend a minute before the exercise, and set it up accordingly.

It seems that many gym goers are for this technology upgrade, though it will probably take some time to adjust. Simply put: the new cardio equipment adds a new entertainment aspect to the gym. Simply put by Nicole: “it gives us something to do.”

You can reach me on Twitter @Court_Jeffrey or via email at cejeffre@asu.edu. Happy exercising!

×