Tech Spec: Time to book a new method of learning

Hard copies or digital copies-- which one will you choose? Photo by Courtland Jeffrey.

Going to the bookstore (or Amazon, Chegg, etc.) certainly puts a strain on the wallet as each semester’s classes begin. ASU professors and staff have realized this problem, and with the utilization of new technology they tried to counteract the problem with the solution of the electronic textbook.

So, was it a smart move?

Transferring to digital books can save students anywhere from $5 to $100 per book, and since the recent surge of mobile technology, many publishers and ASU staff members are leaning towards electronic textbooks as an option (or the only option) for students.

While the pricing is a huge incentive for students to make the switch, it still may not be the best option for everyone.

Julea Shaw, a sophomore biology student, has some mixed feelings about the digital side of textbooks. The price difference of $65 was the main draw for Shaw in buying her Genetics textbook online, but after two weeks of classes, she has some complaints.

One problem she ran into was the interface: it was hard to control and jumpy.

“I prefer normal textbooks because I think it’s harder to read (digital textbooks) on the computer because of the screen’s backlight,” says Shaw.

Hard copies or digital copies — which one will you choose? Photo by Courtland Jeffrey.

Reading on the screen may strain her eyes, but overall she feels like she made the right decision by getting the digital textbook. For her, the price difference outweighs the issues that are involved.

Personally, reading off of a screen is fine and since my smartphone, tablet or computer is always nearby, having the book available without having to carry the extra weight is great. With the added price difference, my choice of buying as many of my books digitally was a simple one to make.

The next time you look into buying textbooks and have the option between a physical or a digital textbook, weigh all of the options and choose whether you would prefer a book in your hand or a few extra bucks in your wallet.

You can reach me at cejeffre@asu.edu and follow me on twitter @Court_Jeffrey.

×