Art Murmur: Rocket Resale Art Show

McDamnright is shown as artsy in his attire as he is his art. Photo courtesy of McDamnright.

McDamnright is as artsy in his attire as he is his art. Photo by Alec Damiano.

McDamnright, clad in a black and rhinestone-studded tuxedo ensemble, reflects on his beginnings as an artist. His Black Veil Brides-esque hair juts out asymmetrically from the side of his head.

He started working at a graphic design firm in California at the age of 15-years-old and was not paid for his services. He currently studies at The Art Institute of Phoenix.

“When you’re 15 and working in graphic design, nobody takes you seriously,” he says. “I started freelancing and working for design companies, building a portfolio so I can be taken seriously.”

The artist is surrounded by his unique Asian-themed prints, a mannequin with a television for a head and a male friend dressed in a cheerleader’s outfit several sizes too small wearing a lampshade for a hat.

El Vaquero Muerto's booth with his new painting (upper-left). Photo by Alec Damiano.

Art Night at Rocket Resale featured the works of McDamnright, Amy Nieland and El Vaquero Muerto. This event celebrates the first year of the store and was the first of what promises to be several art shows.

“We plan to do these shows bimonthly,” says co-owner Stormy Love, who also sells her handmade jewelry at the store. “There’s about 20 artists who sell their work here. We’re featuring three artists at a time so they’ll have a chance to be in the spotlight.”

El Vaquero Muerto says not much had gone on since I last spoke with him, but he did create a new art piece.

Amy Nieland made her exhibition debut. She started making luminaries out of bottles a year ago, and Art Night was her first art show.

“I’m going to start doing Second Fridays and I’ll be selling my work on consignment at Trampolina on McClintock (drive) and Southern (ave.),” she says.

Though their works were not featured this night, Adam Bomb’s "skull-ptures" and Brean Smith’s rings were also on display.

Rocket Resale is located on Southern and Mill avenue in Tempe — a “5-foot stumble from Yucca Tap Room” as one of their fliers touts.

Rocket Resale sells art on consignment year-round. Like them on Facebook.

Do you know of any interesting art, entertainment or crafts you’d like me to cover? Tweet me at @DamianoAlec or email me at Alec.Damiano@asu.edu. To see some of my artwork, click here.

×