Ozier once snubbed by Oregon State, eyes redemption

Redshirt junior wide receiver Kevin Ozier catches a pass for a touchdown during the Sun Devils’ 43-21 loss to No. 4 Oregon on Oct. 18. (Photo by Sam Rosenbaum)

When redshirt junior wide receiver Kevin Ozier lines up against Oregon State, he will be wearing a white ASU jersey. However there was a time when Ozier could have seen himself donning the orange and black of Oregon State.

As a quarterback coming out of high school, Ozier had no scholarship offers, but was invited to attend a camp in Corvallis, Ore., where the reality of a scholarship offer began to surface in his head.

“I thought I did pretty good at the camp,” Ozier said. “Coach (Mike) Riley had me and a couple other people stay after. They said they only had a couple scholarships left, and said they'd have one for me if a couple people didn't commit.”

Ozier was excited and hoped to get an offer from the Beavers, but it never came.

After reevaluating his options, Ozier decided to walk-on at ASU where he first contributed on special teams, earned a scholarship and is now contributing to the Sun Devils’ aerial attack.

“Kevin was obviously very elated to get that (scholarship at ASU),” ASU coach Todd Graham said. “It's been a great decision because he has really worked his tail off and done a great job for us.”

Through eight games this season Ozier has 17 catches for 246 yards. The California native has had a catch in every game this season and has caught four of his five touchdowns in the past three weeks.

Despite his recent success at ASU, Ozier has not forgotten the disappointment of not receiving a scholarship from Oregon State and would like nothing more than to have a good game Saturday night.

“I thought they really liked me and I was hoping I was going to get one, but I didn't and now we have to get after them,” Ozier said.

While Saturday's road tilt is big for Ozier personally, he also understands football is a team game and above all wants to return to Tempe with a victory.

“I just want to get stuff done so we can get a win,” Ozier said. “I'm not necessarily worried about revenge, but I would love to beat them.”

Reach the reporter at william.boor@asu.edu

×