The Campus Closet: Maximizing by accessorizing

Earrings, necklaces, shoes, sunglasses and hats: accessories have the ability to define an outfit. Whether you like to keep it simple and elegant or stand out and be funky, there is an accessory for your style.

You set a mood with accessories. For example, you can give a simple black dress or t-shirt and jeans a completely new personality with a pair of shoes or earrings.

This season, accessories are making statements; they are bold and unique for the fall season.

Here are some daring accessories I have seen on the runways that can be incorporated into any outfit. Also, some tips and tricks on how to spice up your clothing:

1. Hats Hats of all kinds are in and a great compliment to a day time outfit. Beanies, bowler, wide-rim and anything else from the 1990s is super in right now. Simple and great for a bad hair day

2. Choker necklaces Believe it or not, choker necklaces are back. Delicate or ornate, whatever your style they’re perfect for anything strapless or crew-necked.

3. Headpieces Headpieces are still here. They’re gypsy and adorning style can dress any outfit up — fancy or simple.

4. Anything goes sunglasses Cat-eye, rounded, square, or completely out there. Any time of sunglasses goes right now, and the more unique the better. Find something that fits along with your personality.

5. Belts Chose either a super wide or super skinny belt; no in between. For the super skinny belts, but them around a dress to add some flare. Wrap a super wide belt around a top or a high-waist skirt for a nice look.

6. Bangles Wide bracelets are super fun and funky. Coming in all shapes, colors and sizes, mix and match.

7. Collars Add a collar to any dress or shirt for a cute look. Put a necklace on the collar to dress it up.

Tip and Trick: Have a purpose and keep it simple. The first rule in accessorizing: don’t over do it. Wear pieces that stand out, and have a purpose with each accessory.

Feel free to contact me at gmnelson@asu.edu with any story ideas.

×