The Campus Closet: Phoenix Fashion Week

Furne One designs show off in Phoenix. Photo courtesy of Melissa Fossum.

Every year in October Arizona gets to show off its part in the fashion industry at Phoenix Fashion Week. Hosted at Talking Stick Resort, Phoenix Fashion Week celebrated its eighth year of sweeping style across the Valley this fall.

High-waist pants and stripe patterns became trendy. Photo by Melissa Fossum, Phoenix New Times Freelance Photographer

The four-day event’s main purpose is to bridge national and international designers together with local boutiques, fashionistas and designers. There were 29 runway shows, after parties, workshops, charity events, ladies in heels and men in ties that all took place over the last week.

Great diversity happened on the runway from daytime wear to wild art pieces that look more like costumes. Established and amateur designers all played a big part in the week, putting their fall and spring collections out on display.

I was able to attend Saturday night and see shows by designers Furne One and Bree Seeley. They contrasted greatly in their styles.

Winner of the emerging designer award, Bree Seeley, had adorable daytime and evening collection inspired by the 1950s. Stripes, the color white, high-waist skirts and pretty flowing dresses were all apart of her collection. Her award was accompanied by a $10,000 prize, which is not bad for this amateur designer. I'm excited to see where the future leads for her.

Furne One designs get wild and intricate in Phoenix. Photo by Melissa Fossum, Phoenix New Times Freelance Photographer

Furne One has designed for names like Nikki Minogue, Katy Perry and Shakira. There was no surprise this designer from Dubai would throw out some wild and intricate pieces. Complex bead-work, chiffon, headpieces, sparkles and colored lipstick were just a few of the things that were brought to life in these futuristic, animal-like and one-of-a-kind ensembles. Many of her pieces incorporated the colors ivory and gold for a classic play on funky designs. Her show was inspiring to say the least.

It was great to see so many local fashionistas together and celebrating designs that are truly pieces of art. I am excited to see what next year brings.

Feel free to contact me at gmnelson@asu.edu with any story ideas. 

×