Bravo to new Arizona Congresswoman Kyrsten Sinema of the 9th Congressional District for being sworn into office on her copy of the U.S. Constitution. The Constitution is an expression of our shared values and is meant to transcend religious differences. While the practice of national constitutional officers placing their right hand on the Bible when they are sworn into office is all well and good, it can undermine the separation of church and state in our government.

Boo to the start of a new semester after an entirely too short winter break. There was no way to get all the rest and relaxation we needed after the crazy fall semester in two weeks.

Bravo to the return of winter TV this week. While we still miss NBC's "Community," we're glad to welcome "Downton Abbey," "Girls," "30 Rock" and "Parks & Recreation" back to the airwaves.

Boo to the end of lady hero and feminist icon Tina Fey's amazingly hilarious "30 Rock." So long, Liz Lemon, Tracy Jordan and Jack Donaghy. You will be missed.

Bravo to Will Sutton for deciding to play one more year for ASU. The redshirt junior defensive tackle put aside potentially millions of dollars to complete his degree and help ASU compete for a championship. Sutton's importance to the defense was well documented throughout the season, and the Sun Devils need his presence in order to compete for a Rose Bowl berth in 2014.

Boo to the "Kimye" baby. While we adore Kanye West and are sure he'll name his offering something fantastically whimsical, he could do so much better than Kim Kardashian. Now, remember Yeezy: "She got one of your kids, got you for 18 years." On the plus side, this means Kanye will have to be in the annual Kardashian-Jenner family Christmas card for at least the next decade.

Bravo to the new ASU initiative to fight human trafficking and "modern" slavery. The ASU College of Public Programs is joining up with ASU Global and Changemaker Central to sponsor a Campus Challenge: encouraging students to propose solutions to the global slave trade.

Boo to the snooze fest BCS National Championship game. Fans tuned in to ESPN Monday night in hopes of seeing a competitive football game, but they were disappointed. The game was practically decided by the end of the first quarter, and national attention shifted from the action to Alabama quarterback A.J. McCarron’s girlfriend after cameras gave her a long close-up. Last night was reason number 537,456 why college football needs the playoff to come ASAP.

Bravo to Tempe's "Trap, Neuter, Release" program for limiting the feral cat population in a humane way. Instead of killing the cats, they are spayed or neutered and released back in the wild Tempe landscape. These cats can no longer reproduce, but they prevent the unfixed cat population from taking over. Cats all over the Internet are infinitely grateful.

Boo to the U.S. House of Representatives failure to vote on a relief package for the survivors of Superstorm Sandy in New York and New Jersey before everyone went home on Jan. 2. After the chaotic "fiscal cliff" negotiations between the leadership in Congress and the White House, Americans had even less confidence in the legislative branch than usual. The House finally approved a scaled down relief bill on Jan. 4 after the new representatives were sworn in.

Want to join the conversation? Send an email to opiniondesk.statepress@gmail.com. Keep letters under 300 words and be sure to include your university affiliation. Anonymity will not be granted.

×