Women’s basketball looks to rebound against Oregon schools

This is the perfect time for the Sun Devils to get back on their feet.

The ASU (8-6, 0-2 Pac-12) women’s basketball team returns from the Northwest and will now host the two teams from that area with the worst records in the conference.

The Sun Devils are set to face off against Oregon (2-12, 0-2 Pac-12) Friday night, then they take on Oregon State (6-8, 0-2 Pac-12) on Sunday.

Both teams are struggling as of late. The Ducks have lost their last four games, and the Beavers have dropped their last five.

However, throughout the years, Pac-12 games have always been difficult battles. This weekend should be no different, and the Sun Devils are not looking past the struggling teams.

“Our conference is so much better this year than it has been the past couple years,” coach Charli Turner Thorne said.

Not only is the Pac-12 schedule strenuous on ASU game in and game out, but this particular Sun Devil squad also lacks experience.

“Every game is going to be a tough one," Turner Thorne said. "That’s just who we are this year. Very, very young. We’re still learning to play consistently and sustaining our efforts.”

The Ducksare averaging a decent 66 points and can put the ball in the basket.

“Oregon has very good offensive talent, and they’re a good team,” Turner Thorne said.

Freshmen Jillian Alleyne is a lean, athletic forward who averages 15 points and 13 rebounds per game.

The Sun Devils have had some trouble with guards the past couple games and may be encountering some trouble versus Oregon.

Oregon sports three guards who each average over 11 points per game.

Oregon Statelacks some of the offensive power the Ducks have. The Beavers, however, only allow 58.1 points per game.

They recently lost to No. 14 UCLA (11-2, 2-0 Pac-12) by only four points. The game before, they lost to USC on a buzzer-beater.

The Beavers have held teams to 33 percent shooting this year.

Freshman guard Jaime Weisner is their leading scorer, averaging 11.8 points per game. She is their only player to average double-digits so far this season.

“They’re young, but they have a good combinations some veterans and some really good young players,” Turner Thorne said.

The Sun Devils have had spurts of greatness all season, but starting off the Pac-12 is probably their season low.

The players, however, expect a ton of success from themselves.

“They’re devastated they didn’t win those games," Turner Thorne said. "You have to take these lessons hard."

Still, there's little doubt that ASU is getting better and improving with every tough challenge in this rigorous Pac-12 schedule.

“They have a lot of pride and want to be a very good team and win," Turner Thorne said. "And they’re doing the things that it takes to do that.”

Reach the reporter at gdemano@asu.edu

×