ASU goes country for Devilpalooza 2013

Alternative rock band Save The Future plays on stage at Devil Palooza's Battle of the Bands contest on Saturday. Save The Future won ASU's battle of the band contest, beating out 3 other bands in attendance. (Photo by Dominic Valente)

Alternative rock band Save The Future plays on stage at Devil Palooza's Battle of the Bands contest on Saturday. Save The Future won ASU's battle of the band contest, beating out 3 other bands in attendance. (Photo by Dominic Valente) Alternative rock band Save The Future plays on stage at Devil Palooza's Battle of the Bands contest on Saturday. Save The Future won ASU's battle of the band contest, beating out 3 other bands in attendance. (Photo by Dominic Valente)

This weekend’s cold front didn’t stop ASU students from coming out to Devilpalooza to see American Idol winner and rising country star, Scotty McCreery.

While the festival has been held at the Tempe campus in past years, this year’s event was held at the Polytechnic campus. Although the out of the way location was a deterrent for some, it didn’t stop many students from making the trip to see Scotty McCreery.

Secondary education sophomore Torrie Canon noticed that the crowd was a lot smaller compared to last year’s festival in Tempe but figured that could be expected since Polytechnic isn’t as convenient to visit.

When planning the event, the Programing and Activities Board knew the Polytechnic campus was far away and made sure there were frequent shuttles leaving from the other three campuses.

Another major difference in this year’s festival was the concert. Scotty McCreery was a much different choice of artist, compared to last year’s performer, alternative rock band The All-American Rejects.

“I like how it's different every year,” Canon said. “ Next year they should get someone who's completely opposite of Scotty McCreery and keep mixing it up.”

Prior to the concert on the main stage, the free festival featured a Battle of the Bands, as well as a full out carnival featuring rides, sponsor booths, T-shirt making and plenty of food.

The concert opened with alternative rock band Carolina Liar and though its style is very different from Scotty McCreery’s classic country music, the crowd seemed to enjoy the variety.

“It was kind of cool how they cooperated (with) two completely different types of music,” nursing sophomore Kayla Moring said.

The carnival was never very crowded, because it started early in the afternoon, but by the time McCreery started singing, the audience was packed.

The McCreery wooed the audience with his signature deep voice, singing songs off his debut album, “Clear As Day,” a few covers and even some special brand new songs.

He did a great job with interacting with the audience and reminded them that even though he’s famous and touring the country, he’s still a regular teenager.

ASU was lucky get the rising country star. McCreery spent the last year opening for superstar Brad Paisley, and on Feb. 14, he kicks off his first headlining tour, Weekend Roadtrip.

The Programming and Activities Board will soon be preparing for next year’s festival. Who do you want to see at Devilpalooza 2014?

Reach the reporter at julianne.defilippis@gmail.com or on twitter @juliannemarie12

×