Wednesday morning brought along some surprising news for the Sun Devil football team and fans alike.

After eight months of holding a verbal commitment to ASU, four-star quarterback Joshua Dobbs from Alpharetta, Ga. flipped and decided to put the ink to paper with Tennessee instead of ASU.

Wednesday's decision on college football's National Signing Day could be one the young prep ends up regretting.

Had Dobbs stayed at ASU, not only would he have been the lone recruit at QB, but coach Todd Graham would have also granted him the opportunity to compete for next year's starting spot immediately.

Instead, he's going into a situation where Tennessee coach Butch Jones already had four quarterbacks vying for the starting spot before signing day. Also, he's one of two QB recruits to sign with the Vols Wednesday.

Good luck with that.

I would see Dobbs's decision as a smart one had he picked a school that actually had a chance to win its conference. ASU does in the Pac-12, but year after year Tennessee continually finishes at the bottom of the pile in the SEC.

I don't foresee much change coming in Knoxville anytime soon.

Reach the reporter at adrian.martinez.1@asu.edu

×