Former ASU football player stabbed, dies

Former ASU wide receiver and tight end Tyrice Thompson died Saturday morning after receiving multiple stab wounds while working as a bouncer at Martini Ranch on Sunday.

The 27-year-old was being treated at Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn Medical Center for serious and life-threatening injuries, Scottsdale Police Sgt. Mark Clark said.

Thompson’s critical condition kept him from speaking to police and identifying the person who stabbed him, according to the Scottsdale Police Department.

According to the department, Thompson and other bar security escorted a group of men and women out of the establishment for fighting.

One man began fighting outside with security staff, including Thompson, which is when Thompson was stabbed five times, according to the release.

Police questioned the staff, security and all parties involved, but no one saw Thompson get stabbed, according to the police.

After further investigation, police arrested the man Tuesday on suspicion of stabbing Thompson, but the man said he did fight security but did not stab anyone, according to the department.

The man was released pending further investigation as charges will be filed at a later date, according to the department.

Police did not find a knife at the scene or in anyone’s possession Sunday, according to the department.

Thompson graduated from ASU in May 2007 with a degree in interdisciplinary studies, according to Sun Devil Athletics.

He was first introduced to Sun Devil football in 2003 as a “redshirt” for the scouting team but would go on to play 46 career games for the University.

In 2006 Thompson received the Special Teams Iron Man Award for being recognized as “one of ASU’s finest special teams players,” according to the Sun Devil Athletics.

Reach the reporter at sraymund@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @ShawnFVRaymundo

×