Golfer Austin Quick born to be a Sun Devil

Sophomore Austin Quick chips away during an ASU golf practice. Quick knew after winning a tournament at Karsten in high school that he wanted to play golf at ASU. (Photo by Kyle Newman)

Sophomore Austin Quick chips away during an ASU golf practice. Quick knew after winning a tournament at Karsten in high school that he wanted to play golf at ASU. (Photo by Kyle Newman) Sophomore Austin Quick chips away during an ASU golf practice. Quick knew after winning a tournament at Karsten in high school that he wanted to play golf at ASU. (Photo by Kyle Newman)

Ever since he first attended Sun Devil football games at 4-years-old, committing to ASU on a golf scholarship was almost inevitable for sophomore Austin Quick.

“Throughout my life, my family has always been very attached to ASU,” Quick said. “My junior year of high school, I won a tournament at Karsten by four or five strokes. After that, I just knew it was right.”

One could say the game of golf, along with the colors maroon and gold, runs in the business management major's blood.

Growing up, Quick said he played a variety of sports but always had a knack for golf.

“I played all sports: baseball, hockey, basketball,” Quick said. “But I was too short for football and couldn’t take all of the hits from hockey. I always played golf with my dad and was pretty good. Sticking with it was the best route for me to go.”

At Chaparral High School in Scottsdale, Quick led his team to three straight Arizona state golf championships in his freshman, sophomore and junior years. Individually, he tied for first in the state twice and was an all-state selection all four years.

His high level of play in high school is what drew ex-ASU men's golf coach Randy Lein to make him an offer, Quick said.

Quick said he had offers from schools in other states. But nothing could compare to the beautiful weather, convenience and opportunities that ASU offers in terms of getting his game to the next level.

Even with all of the early success, like any golfer, Quick also has struggles of his own with the game.

“Golf is sometimes a tough game to enjoy,” Quick said. “Some days, it’s really good; some, it isn’t as good. That’s the way it is.”

Quick received advice that has helped him get through difficult times with the game from his grandfather, who was a head professional at multiple golf clubs between Oregon, Salt Lake City and Arizona.

“He told me I need to be my own coach and know my own fixes,” Quick said. “And to listen to my coach because he also knows my fixes.”

Now at ASU, Quick is learning his fixes on and off the course.

“ASU has been great for me getting disciplined and growing as a person,” Quick said. “Waking up at 5:45 for practice, going to class and going to study hall — it’s tough to get used to; it’s definitely a wake up call.”

Quick said his experience in collegiate golf differs vastly to his experiences as a prep.

“In high school, my coach was a teacher,” Quick said. “It’s different in college, it’s like having a boss, and you have to respect what he says.”

On the course for the Sun Devils, Quick has put on good performances. In the Thunderbird Invitational last April, he narrowly missed winning the tournament and finished the event in second place.

“I didn’t putt too well at the end,” Quick said. “I gave it a run, but it’s all about playing well at the right time.”

Quick has struggled a little bit in the 2013 season. But he can still remember what his grandfather told him, and he knows he will get back to performing well once again.

“I kind of lost it at the beginning of this year," Quick said. "But it has been good figuring out my swing. It’s yet to click with my scores but it’s only a matter of time to see it.”

With two and a half years left in his collegiate career, Quick is focused on working toward a job in professional golf or a spot in PGA or European Tour.

“An opportunity to play in Europe would definitely satisfy my dreams,” Quick said. “It’s important to trust myself and have faith that I can get there.”

Reach the reporter at adrian.martinez.1@asu.edu

×